1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NOCD: Ampeg SVT-410HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voided3, Jun 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    New old cab day!

Back Story: Last year, I bought an older Ampeg SVT-810E from 1996 and soon figured out the reasons behind the cabinet's claim to fame as well as infamy. The sound and feeling is like nothing else, though my 810E also is one of the heavier variants being constructed of OSB (154 lbs. according to my scale, and that's with the tolex removed!).

While I still will continue to use the 810E for outdoor gigs (as I did last weekend), I decided to hunt down a lighter plywood SVT-410HE to use in conjunction with my T-stand (so it still sits at the same height as the 8x10) for indoor gigs.

Most of the used 410HE cabs I saw online are the made-in-USA OSB variants, which I believe is the version Ampeg used to obtain their quoted spec of 91 lbs. currently on their website. Knowing that the OSB 810E cabs were quoted at 165 lbs. in the catalogs of the day vs the current plywood version's 137 lbs., I presumed the newer plywood 410HE would follow suit.

After casually searching off and on for a while, I found a plywood 410HE locally from 2008 for a good price. It was in surprisingly good condition, considering the reputation Ampeg's tolex has for falling off cabinets like snow flakes, with only minor scrapes. The only issues I discovered were that the forward-facing speaker gaskets were coming loose, so I reattached them with E6000 flexible glue, as well as a slightly warped grille, which is common since the frames are MDF and the grille cloth is on there tight.

According to my scale, this particular 410HE is 75.8 lbs. with the pop-in caster wheels installed. Success! Albeit that's on the heavier side by today's standards, it sure beats 91 lbs.! Perhaps if I feel like investing in Eminence SC-10 neo drivers down the road, I could get it down to about 60 lbs.

With the tweeter off (as I intend to always use it), it sounds more or less identical to my 810E, as one would expect with the same drivers in a similar relative box size. I have a wedding gig next Saturday for its first trial by fire, but I have a feeling it will do very well considering how similar it sounds to the 810E from my initial testing. I play P and J Basses with flats through a GK 1001RB-II so I'm not expecting a huge wash of low end, just a punchy old-school tone like I get with the 810E. My head also puts out 460 watts at 8 ohms so I'll still have ample headroom.

Pics or it didn't happen!
    IMG-1594.JPG
    IMG-1593.JPG

S-Bigbottom, JimmyM and mapleglo like this.
  2. voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Question for you, @JimmyM : For this generation of 410HE, made in Vietnam in 2008, are there any issues with running the horn attenuator all the way off all the time in regards to heat dissipation? I seem to recall reading around here that some versions of the crossover board didn’t fare so well when the horn was fully attenuated. My head has a 5k low pass filter I leave on so not a whole lot of super high frequency content is being generated, anyway.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, shouldn't be a problem at all. That issue was in the early days of bass cabs with tweeters mostly. I've done it with older 410he's many times and never had a problem.

Kriegs likes this.
  4. voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Good to know, thanks!

JimmyM likes this.