1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nocto Loco on the way...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Just got a picture of what's coming in the mail soon :)
    If the graphics look like that, with the red letters/symbols blocked out, I'll have to get my good ol' sharpie out...but whatevs...it looks hawt.
    edit: Upon further lookage, it doesn't look to be THE exact pedal i ordered, since I discussed with Dan I wanted the input and out jacks on opposite sides.

u_red4e.

2. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I expect a good review as you always do =D

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I just barely managed to talk myself out of buying one of these. Keep your review to yourself, for my wallet's sake.

4. Best of luck with that. IMO, a very cool pedal, but useless for bass. Tried it out at the launch party (iirc, could have been the launch of another pedal) on guitar, and it's kind of iffy even on that. However if you've got something that puts out sustained tones or you're just looking to noise things up, it's a very cool pedal. I wish I had one.

Anyway, don't let me bias your review. :p

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I don't think you'll be swaying anyone's opinion around here ;) It's all about application- If you're looking an octaver to fatten up your rock tone or for some funk, for instance, then im sure some might find it useless- I don't think many of the talkbass-effects patrons interested in the nocto are looking to go that route, and from the clips I've heard, it is stable enough, and very useful.

6. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    4ms is making extreme stuff ;) Not for everybody for sure. Phaseur Fleur is the pedal I'd really like to try.

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    the switches seem to close together, no? i might be wrong based on the fact i've never seen one in real life.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Mine's sitting on the table in kit form - gonna bust out the soldering iron this weekend! I'm gonna try and squeeze in an additional footswitch to switch between depth at zero and whatever the knob is set to so I can turn the pulsing on and off.

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Keep us posted on your results dannybouy :cool:

10. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    It's not particularly stable, but it is a lot of fun, and can be used in a myriad of ways. It's certainly not a 'normal' octaver, if that's what you want, look elsewhere. Like any effect, with a little imagination, it's perfectly useable on bass,

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  12. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
  13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Just in case no one knows this... It responds to lower and higher frequencies. Basically, hit the lower strings for a slower pulsating effect, and the higher strings for a faster effect.

14. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Thats pretty wild, speed based on freq. :bassist:

15. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I might be joining you in that endeavor. Good luck.

16. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    I lurk enough to know why you are getting it. :p Just be aware that you need to be quite precise to get it to sound like the clip, it gets glitchy easily, morseso than most octavers. That being said, like other octave effects you can keep it relatively stable down to about the A string.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    As I understand it, it does this by producing an additional signal 4, 5 or 6 octaves below and using that to modulate the main waveform that's 1,2 or 3 octaves below. Clever! Should be possible to make the depth controllable by a stomp switch by hooking up the switch to short out 2 of the lugs from the depth control pot. Although I haven't looked at it properly yet to confirm this will work.

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    We'll see about that:bassist:

19. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I actually disagree with this. I find my Nocto to track more easily and stably than previous octavers I've used including: Ashdown, EBS Octabass, Foxrox Octronn, and Boss OC-2.

Did you build a kit or did you get a pre-built one? Did you adjust the trimpots for your bass? Is your bass active or passive?

20. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    I had 4ms build it for me. I haven't adjusted the trim-pots, and I use an 18v active.
    When I say it doesn't track brilliantly, it's all relative - it's certainly good enough, I just find that it tends to track the note, then glitch immediately after, in normal mode set one octave down. It's not generally an issue for me as I use it mostly in Loco mode, and glitchiness is an integral part of that. That said I will have a look at the trim pots tonight...
    It's fine on my C and G strings - the problems start on the D and below. I didn't buy it to be tamed, so it's never concerned me, I just think that some folks might be disappointed, expecting something and finding the reality to be quite different.