1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nocturnal --> diurnal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 8, 2006.

1. Ever since the summer after my freshman year of college, I've kept absolutely ridiculous hours--usually going to sleep at 3 and rising at 10 or 11. I mean, it's at the point where I'm not merely awake when my roommate leaves for work at 4:15 AM (he's a bond trader and has to work on East Coast hours), but still very much up and astir. I want to get back to something a little more in line with the rest of the people in my time zone.

Is there any alternative to just going to bed 15 minutes earlier every night? I've found that it's very difficult to maintain the discipline necessary to do that, and even when I've gotten on a good clip of doing that I find that one late night studying or writing will completely throw me off.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What has usually worked for me is going to bed at the same time, but forcing myself to wake up early. After 2-3 days, you'll want to go to bed earlier. If that doesn't work, buy some melatonin.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yeah, forcing yourself to get up earlier is a good idea. Have breakfast with someone who gets up early, so you can't just hit the snooze button.

My sleeping pattern is: Go to sleep at about 1.30am, get up at 7.30am. By thursday I need to go to bed at about 11pm because I'm so tired. But then on friday I'm refreshed, and when I go out partying till 4am, I can sleep in till lunchtime. And then I'm refreshed to party again until 4am and get up even later on sunday.

Then the ritual starts again. So I guess the moral is don't take advice from me.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just take downers when you want to go to sleep and amphetamines when you want to wake up. Worked for Elvis.

bc

5. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Just force yourself to do it. As has been said, set an alarm so you get up earlier; you'll soon get tired and be craving sleep.

Could try running around a lot, too.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Don't do drugs.

Stay in school.

Drink your Ovaltine.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, that's about how I do it, too. Sometimes I'll sneak in a ~2 hour nap on Wednesday or Thursday. That really throws things off. But after a couple months you'll find yourself waking up at about the same time regardless of when you went to sleep.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    another vote for progressively waking up earlier.

9. this works only if the sun enters your room in the morning:

keep the curtains open so with sunrise you get a lot of light into our room, when you're disturbed it's harder to fall back to sleep, might just work if you're like me, waking up several times during sleep

10. Have your roommate hit you in the head with a hammer. I know this will help you sleep.

Rock on
    Eric

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Those hours aren't so bad. My son, a senior in college is
    hard pressed to make a 6 PM class.

I can't do this at my age, but at your age it was easy.

Pull the all nighter. Go to sleep at 10 PM the next night.
    Who needs sleep at your age anyway, when there is
    beer to be dunk, women to be chased, fajitas to be eaten
    and all night cheesy 50's movie fests to be snarked to?

12. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I agree with Thor, your hours aren't unreasonable at all for a university student. One summer I was working at school and my research dictated that I had to work nights. I made the switch from 9 to 5 to a 4 PM to 4 AM shift without any trouble at all. Switching back was the tricky part.

I heard once that your body can't "store" sleep. That means it's your sleep habits from the night before that will tell you when you wake up and when you go to sleep. Thor's idea of resetting your clock by simply skipping a sleep cycle sounds like a winner to me. I've done it and if you've got the fortitude and strength of will to do it, then you should be able to force yourself to a new schedule in one eventful weekend (all nighters are always more fun when you make them eventful). But then I've never been good at gradual and incremental things. It's all or nothin'.

If that doesn't work I hear sleeping pills and champagne are a killer combo.

-Nate

Edit: Just so everyone's clear, I don't condone the use of either sleeping pills or champagne (beer is all the bubbly I need) and using them together is just plain stupid.

13. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I present the stupidest post of the day. Anyone who agrees with me must be an idiot. Just ask bc, I mean, the 'Q'.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think he wants to wake up again after though....

15. Don't have him hit that hard. Or use a rubber mallet.

Rock on
    Eric

16. I tried pulling an all-nighter last night and conked out at 7:30 AM. Apparently I woke up at some point and accepted delivery of the used G&L L2500 Tribute that I had coming by FedEx, although I haven't opened the box yet.

I think I might just go the Melatonex route.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now you'll be up playing it until 4am.

bc

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh...then in that case...you'll be up trying to open it until 4am.

bc

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thats SOLID advice ! :D