Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noel Redding, Billy Cox?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Does anyone know what the guys that played with Hendrix have been up to the last thirty years? Noel Redding, Billy Cox for bass, and Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles for drums?

Well ok, only half the guys were bassists, actually only one since Noel was a guitarplayer actually.

Anyone?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I think Billy Cox is still traveling with a Hendrix tribute of some sorts. Buddy Miles has done tons over the post-Hendrix years, but not much recently, as far as I know. Buddy did a few stints with Santana (one of my favorite Santana cuts is one with Buddy singing "Vera Cruz"). He was the model for the drummer of the California Raisins. He spent some time in Chicago, and played with a few blues bands there. He's rumored to have a recreational problem, but he's supposed to still have the goods to play. One club in Chicago had booked the band he was with (using his name on the marquee), and when Buddy showed up an hour and a half late, the owner started playing tough guy, but that didn't last long. Buddy proceeded to tear into the guy starting with "I didn't give you permission to use my name on the marquee, and I should sue your ***." The owner came out of the office with a little more room where the sun don't shine, and Buddy still managed to put on a pretty good show.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Billy Cox has been popping up in Cort Basses' ads(like in BASS PLAYER mag)...something like a "Billy Cox Signature Model".
    Noel Redding is planning on releasing HIS OWN tapes/sessions from his time with Hendrix.
    Not sure what Mitchell & Miles are up to...
    *(My favorite "rhythm section" for Hendrix was Mitchell/Cox)*

4. Thanks a lot guys for some info I have been after for years now.. Ive always been wondering what they did after 1970 :)

5. Hendrix always had a great rhythm section, I like Buddy and Billy the best, cuz Buddy could sing really well. I like Power of Soul and Them Changes from Band of Gypsys. But Noel and Mitch were cool too....

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    -------Billy & Buddy for me. More sole. I cant think about the Band of Gypsys Without getting "Them Changes" stuck in my head. MAN, can Buddy sing!!!!!!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    i also favored billy cox over noel redding, hendrix played
    better with the good pocket billy laid down for him!
    aloha, jerry

8. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Noel Redding was interviewed on the A&E Biography on
    Hendrix last month. It was interesting; he gave some
    insight on his personal relationship with Jimi and he
    revealed why he feels he was fired from the Experience.
    I think Cox was on there talking about his Army days
    with Hendrix.
    I've heard Buddy Miles has been living and gigging around
    the Dallas area for quite some time. I live 90 miles away
    from Dallas so I'm not certain about that. Any Dallas-Ft.
    Worth bassists out there know for sure?