Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noel Redding Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 21, 2004.

1. i dunno..havent foud much info on it...but the finish/wood seems to be a little different and i dont know about the pickups, but some of them were signed personally on the scratch plate, japanese made
    [​IMG]

2. it seems lighter than a usual fender sunburst to me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Nothing can be that special, how many mods could you have made in the 70's to a jazz bass? Doesn't even look too much different, seems to me they're selling the name more then the bass.

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    The Noel Redding Jazz was released in the '90s by Fender Japan - it's basically a '60s style Jazz with his signature on it (although I believe it has slightly different specs to the Fender Japan '62 reissue from about the same times).

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They were all signed.
    It appears that the sig has rubbed off of that one.
    I think there were 1000 made.
    I recently bought (in a pawn shop) and re-sold (eBay) #208.
    I'm not really into the vintage bass thing so am not really qualified to offer an opinion, although it played fine.
    I just bought it to re-sell (doubled my money BTW :hyper: ).

6. dont fender just slightly alter (new color, slightly altered shape) and call it a whole new model and charge a lot more to all their basses anyway?...just look at the sting and geddy lee basses, just a re-issue with their names on it and they can charge more for it...i wouldnt mind getting one, just for the price (roughly 500us on ebay by the looks of it) instead of paying $4000aus for a 60's reissue..plus noel redding is a ledgend, just finished watching jimi plays monterey :eek: wow, i forfot how good a drummer mitch was, noel was just great, one of the few pick bassists i admire :smug: :p

did yours have the bridge cover on it phat?

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I found out, after I had sold it, that the bridge and pickup covers that came with mine were added (see pic). I guess they weren't issued with them.

Mine sold for $800 plus shipping.
    For what it's worth: Fender isn't really charging that much for their Sting, Geddy, Marcus, etc. sig models compared to what a lot of other companies do.

8. you wont beleive how much fender charge for their basses down here
    MIM Jazz = $900aus
    MIA Jazz = $2,138aus
    HIghway 1 =$1800aus
    Stu Hamm Urge 2 = $2,899aus
    MIJ Marcus Miller = $2,150aus
    Geddy Lee = $1,839aus
    62 p reissue = $3500aus

prices here suck, a stingray is about $3500aus..i dont even want to image the price of a FMT jazz, or a spector for that factor

i thought the redding jazz would have been issued with the bridge cover at least, considering noel always had one on

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It would probably be cheaper for you to buy those basses from the US and get them shipped to Australia. I bought my bass from Japan and it cost under $200 for shipping all the way to Detroit. Honestly because those prices are ridiculous, you would still save a thousand dollars even with shipping.

10. it would cost about 500us for air mail, my mate already looked into that whenhe bought his steve vai jem

11. I have a Noel, great bass !

It could be just mine but awsome tone, even my drummer took notice.

Not all were signed.....

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't know first hand,
    but I got my info (that they were all signed) from the Fender Forum where someone posted the official Fender Press Release/Bio on these basses and it stated that they were all signed.
    I'll see if I can find it.

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i saw a hendrix retrospective with noel redding at the helm where NOTHING NOTHING was mentioned about the band of gypsys, i won't have anything to do with that man ever again.

well, other than listen to all hendrix regardless.

sorry, OT rant.

i played a NR Jazz a couple of times. nice build quality. i think the Japanese fender sigs are nice!!!

the reissues too. played a tele reissue (forget the year) AMAZING!

f

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, keep in mind that the Band of Gypsys was a sore point with Mitch and Noel.
    Mitch was eventually brought back in when Buddy Miles split, leaving Noel completely out in the cold.

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    from what i've come to understand over the years, Noel left himself out in the cold.

Hendrix was adopting the studio as a new tool, and Noel wasn't into tweaking (so to speak).

regardless, historical accuracy over emotion. especially so many years later.

lost credibility in my eyes.

f

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Noel bass is just like the Geddy, Miller, Sting, etc. It's a good Japanese built reproduction of a player's bass. In this case it's a reproduction of a mid-60s Jazz with no mods short of the removal of the ash trays. I've tried one and found it to be typical of all Japanese Fenders I've played, that is to say, a very good bass.

17. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I've got one. What Phil said.