Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noel Redding, Jimi Hendrix and the Musical Experience

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by djproject, Feb 23, 2001.

1. (Cliche sounding I know but go with the flow man)

I was listening to a "best of" Jimi Hendrix CD that my brother got for himself. Whenver I listen to a Jimi Hendrix song, I admire the musicianship displayed by not just Hendrix but Noel Redding (bass) and Mitch Mitchell (drums) as well. I definitely enjoying listening to Redding's work, especially on my two personal favorites "Hey Joe" and "Foxey Lady."

(Maybe I've found another model to look up to as far as my own bass playing)

Any comments, insights or anything?

Derek J. Power

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jimi played the bass himself on a lot of those recordings (e.g. Electric Ladyland)...

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Although stories persist that Jimi played bass a lot I think there is little evidence to support it one way or the other. I've always liked NR's bass playing and think he doesn't get the respect he deserves. And, of course, Billy Cox was great too!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...personally, I'll always prefer Hendrix with Mitchell & Billy Cox.
    Redding never floated my boat(tone, style, technique); he did play a sweet, sunburst Fender Jazz, though.

5. did Billy Cox play on "Easy Rider"? some fast & funky playing on that.
    (yunno, the song that Lenny Kravitz "borrowed" for "Are You Gonna Go My Way":D)

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    MJB, Did you find the article I mentioned to you on FDP?

Anyway, as a general reply to MJB's comments. There is a rather lengthy article floating around the net about Jimi's bass playing prowess. I've lost my link to the article when my computer crashed but if I can find it again I will post a link.

Jimi's abilities on the bass don't surprise me. He was a sensational musician and his background on the chitlin tour would have exposed him to some wonderful r&b bassplayers. The article details Jimi's extraordinary abilities on the bass through anecdotal remarks by well known musicians of the time. Also, Mitch Mitchell I believe details some of this in his book. It was no doubt a source of strain between Jimi and Noel. The mystery to me remains - why didn't Chas Chandler who was Jimi's manager at the time, and a great bassplayer for The Animals play bass? What a pity. There were so many great bassist around at the time that could have pushed Jimi a lot farther. I'm convinced we never heard the best of Hendrix as a result.

I saw The Experience in 1968 and frankly the most amazing thing about Noel Redding was his 6 Sunn Cabinets.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...here's an excerpt from a Chas Chandler interview in Guitar Player mag, April of '84-

GP-"Did you & Jimi find the musicians for The Experience"?
    Chandler-"We checked out a lot of guys. As it happened, Noel Redding came up to the office looking for a gig as the lead guitarist in the New Animals. I told him that place is filled, do you fancy playing bass? He had the same haircut as Jimi, and it looked right, you know. So he borrowed my bass and did a little audition with Jimi, and that's how he came to be in the band".

I love that part about having the same 'do!

For drums, Chandler says it "was a toss-up between Mitchell & Aynsley Dunbar; we couldn't make up our minds, so we flipped a coin on that one".

Mock-
    On First Rays Of The New Rising Sun, "Ezy Rider" has Billy Cox & Buddy Miles teamed up with Hendrix. Other cuts on that album feature Cox w/ Mitchell. Supposedly, the sound on this record is the direction Hendrix was heading towards right before his death. "Dolly Dagger" is another funky Rock tune on that particular disc.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks Jim. Thats what I remember.

9. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    I have heard people say that they have heard some stuff Redding did latter on, and it really sucked. Which leaves me to the conclusion that Jimi was such an incredible musician that he made everybody playing with him sound good.

10. I love Live at the Fillmore East.. Jimi, Buddy Miles, and Billy Cox. Stone Free and Voodoo Chile' on disc 1 are to die for. That is awesome stuff. Band of Gypsies is great too, but I don't like it quite as much.

(for those that are unaware, Jimi did 4 concerts at the Fillmore East spanning 2 days (New Year's Eve 1969, New Year's Day 1970).. Band of Gypsies was released a while back and contains 6 songs from these concerts.. Live at the Fillmore East is more recent and is a double album comprised of other material from the concerts.. loads of really good liner notes too.... I guess a lot of good stuff didn't make it due to technical problems at the show.....)

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Personally, I always preferred Billy Cox to Noel Redding, who was always just, without wanting to sound like a mulleted Stevie Vai impersonator, a frustrated guitarist. Although he did play some decent stuff from time to time, a lot of it wasn't too special, and I never thought much of his tone. (After saying that though, I don't think any of the CD reissues of Jimi's albums sound that good.)

Something which I noticed about Redding, from watching some documentaries about Hendrix, is that he seems very bitter, especially at how Jimi played bass for most of Electric Ladyland. Particularly, he's probably one of the few people who think the original version of All Along The Watchtower is better than Hendrix's version (Which Jimi played bass on, coincidentally...)

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >>Particularly, he's probably one of the few people who think the original version of All Along The Watchtower is better than Hendrix's version (Which Jimi played bass on, coincidentally...)

What do you mean by original? Do you mean Bob Dylan's original? Did Hendrix play bass for Bob Dylan? I'm confused. I guess it's too early for me.

13. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    FWIW to this soap opera, on Electric Ladyland, Jack Cassidy played on Voodoo Chile.

14. thanks JimK for clearing up the Ezy Rider credits.

I read that John Entwistle considered joining the Experience- what that would have sounded like is debatable- there might have been too much soloing going on with that line up....

in the classic albums program "The Making Of Electric Ladyland" I was surprised when Jimi's bass track on "All Along The Watchtower" was soloed- the twang of roundwound strings played with a pick- despite the thick, muddy sound in the mix.

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
  16. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Beat me to it Pedro, I just put that same link in the FDP thread.

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Sorry, my poor sentence structuring strikes again. What I MEANT to say that Noel Redding thought that Bob Dylan's original was better than Hendrix's take. Noel Redding didn't play on the Experience version of the song, as Jimi played the bass. Hope that was a little clearer.

Entwistle in the Experience? That would have been interesting. Funnily enough, Mitch Mitchell auditioned for the Who before Hendrix came along. Entwistle was also considering, around the same time I suppose, to join Led Zepplin along with Keith Moon. Still, it was the Swinging Sixties - all the promiscuity and freedom, and all that, applied to bands I suppose...

I've got that Classic Albums program about Electric Ladyland as well, and I agree about the sound of the album - like I said in another post, I never thought much of the production on Hendrix's album.

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >>What I MEANT to say that Noel Redding thought that Bob Dylan's original was better than Hendrix's take.

Actually, I agree.

>>Hope that was a little clearer.

Yes, thanks.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pedro-
    ...super link, man, thanks!

Put me down as one who likes these Hendrix family re-issues; embarrassingly, I never owned Are You Experienced?, Electric Ladyland, or Axis until last year...
    There is a rawness to the recordings; IMO, for this type of stuff, it works(?).

It's too bad that Hendrix/Miles recording never came to fruition...