Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noel Redding may sue!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Noel Redding's attorney has requested $5m in royalty back payments. He ( Redding) received a one time payment of $100k in the '70's and was told that there would be no more Jimi Hendrix Experience releases, however, this was before CD's & DVD's. He didn't write any of the material, but he's basing his request on the fact that his likeness and sounds are on these CD/DVD's. Does he have a legitimate case?

2. My guess - it depends on the wording of the agreement (if any) he signed when he received the 100K payment, who he is suing, and in which jurisdiction (US or UK) he is seeking compensation. :meh:

Do you have a link to the story?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  4. After reading the article, I think the key will be where the lawsuit (if there is one) will be heard. I think Noel would likely be happy with about $1M, and is hoping for that kind of settlement.

Whether the contract is solid under tort law in the US or not is irrelevant if a judge in the UK decides that Mr Redding could not possibly have known what he was signing away and therefore awards something. Collecting is another matter, as I believe Experience Hendrix, the family firm being sued, is based in the US.

I am not sure how a US court might approach this - except that all the lawyers will certainly line their pockets!! :mad:

As to whether Noel Redding DESERVES some of the dough or not - as someone who listened and learned from all of Noel Redding's basslines while growing up in the 60's, I am biased. The guy was treated like crap when the group disbanded, and my tendency would be to say "Yes". However, is the new firm responsible for that situation? I think not. The fact is, however, that deep pockets generally get forced to pay.

5. he did write "little miss strange" on Axis bold as love. any others?

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm sure Mitch Mitchell will be looking for a share too, he signed away the same rights. The Hendrix estate have been milking the Hendrix catolog like crazy lately.......remastering the remasters and all that other marketing bullsh&t......they could throw a bone or two to those guys. It's almost as bad as Rita Marley's total rip off job of Familyman Barrett:mad:

7. The Experience Hendrix family rightfully fought hard and long to recover the rights to Jimi's music, recordings, image and all the other forms of exploitation. They should also respect the contributions of the other musicians involved, Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox.
    Sadly the whole history of Jimi has been one bad business deal after another and I'd not be surprised if the Expereince Hendrix folks continue the legacy.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When I lived in Ann Arbor Mich. I lived for a while about 4 doors down from Ron Ashton, the (Iggy &)Stooges guitarist. He told me that he just got back from a tour with "Destroy all Monsters" in Europe(1985) and he met a guy that had 6 Mercedes Benzs', a mansion in the Netherlands, and a summer home in Spain. He made his money selling bootleg copies of live Stooges and MC5 recordings.

Ron Ashton lives with his mom.

9. Now you see why guys like System of a Down and Robert Fripp aren't nearly as angry at MP3 traders as they are at bootleggers.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    "Little Miss Strange" is on Electric Ladyland.

Noel also wrote "She's So Fine" on Axis.

I feel like a CSI, digging up a dead thread.

11. Jordan

Jordan

Feb 22, 2004
    So did Noel ever get his money?

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Silly me, I thought me was dead.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Me too.

14. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    He must be hurting for money, I saw one of his j basses up for sale 10 years or so ago in the back of guitar player.

15. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    He's hurting for a pulse actually. He took a dirt nap a couple years ago.

16. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player

5/12/2003

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1886017

Rock musician Noel Redding, best known for his stint as the bassist of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, was found dead yesterday (May 11) at his home in Ireland of unknown causes, his manager Ian Grant has confirmed to Billboard.com. He was 57. Redding, an accomplished guitarist based in the U.K., joined Hendrix's band in 1966 and played on the three Jimi Hendrix Experience albums -- writing two songs as well as playing bass -- before parting ways with the legendary guitarist in 1969.

17. OMG.....can't breathe.............

post.
    of.
    the.
    year.

18. I saw him play with his band at the Limelight in NYC several years ago, opening for Robert Gordon. It was a great show....