Noel Redding signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 25, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I didn't know Noel Redding had a signature. I saw one today, but I can't see it on the fender site. Has anyone ever played one? How is it? Also, did Noel Redding play strictly with his fingers or did he play with a plec, or even both? Thanks
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It was a limited edition thing I think. I actually saw one on the weekend. This one was also autographed by Noel Redding. The autograph was dated 1997 I believe, so that may give you an idea as to when Noel Redding bass was produced.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i think he played with both fingers and a pick. He was, after all, a guitar player.
  4. This bass was made in Japan on a fairly limited run. All of them had the pickguard signed by Noel. They are a wonderful bass, and an extremely accurate reporduction of a 62 Jazz. I have seen a couple, but both needed neck work.
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Yea i thought i saw a video of him playing with a plec.

What kind of neck work needed to be done to the ones you saw?

6. There were a couple sigs that arent in production any more so they arent on the Fender site. I think Duck Dunn and Rocco Prestia had sig Fenders, but I've never seen them.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There were also Mark King and James Jamerson sigs as well.
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    They did IIRC. Rocco's was fairly standard looking P with the pickup reversed (ie: the part for the D & G strings was closer to the neck). The Dunn model was quite similar to the '57 reissue P bass as I recall. I assume that Dunn's model was canned once he cast his lot with Lakland.

There should be a site that catalogues all of the sort of limited-run, or oddball Fenders out there, because there are a lot of models that last about a year or so and then are discontinued. The lost Fenders if you will.
  9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I tried the Redding bass and was not that impressed, but not being a jazz bass guy, thats probably the reason. I did try a Duck Dunn Bass that I'm still kicking myself for not buying. YMMV
  10. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    what the hec is plec?
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Did Fender ever make a John Paul Jones sig? I'd like to see that one.
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It's a pick, I think that plectrum or plec is a Britishism
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The Redding bass was a one-of deal..basically just a '62 reissue made in Japan. Plec is short for plectrum....or pick. And unfortunately, my signature bass has yet to be produced. :bawl:

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yeah, these are real decent basses. Kinda funny as I saw one that said that the autograph was actually done by Noel.

I just thought that the price was a bit high for a Japanese built Fender. But I will say that I've been favorably impressed with most of the basses that came out of Fender-Japan. I had a MIJ '62 Reissue that was a very sweet bass. I sold it to help fund my Sadowsky.
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    from what i understand he autographed all of them for real on the pick gaurd. so i heard....

16. I thought there were only like 500 made, so signing everyone isnt a big deal
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    That may have been but the one I saw was signed on the body in silver marker. This sig was a one-off too, as it said Toronto 1997 as well.
  18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    sorry, but i lost all repect for NR when he totally disregarded the band of gypsies during a Henrdix retro.

i love hendrix...but now have a hard time accrediting ANYTHING during that period with NR.

has nothing to do with the SIG Fender...but just my 2cents.

i can't stand the guy.

19. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i imagine jimi was very hard to work with. i could see where noel would do what he did. but that irks me too.