Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noel Redding's Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I came across this picture and was wondering how much power are the individual heads pushing? Looks as thought the cabinets are 2x15.

2. Great picture... it's hard to be exact as many of the heads were similar, but that date in combination with bass JBLs says that those are likely to be 2000S amps pushing 120 watts each.

Here's a link to the Sunn catalog page...

[​IMG]

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let's see, if I'm not mistaken those are three Marshall Major's that Hendrix is using, for a total of 600 watts. And three Sunn's for Noel, for a total of 900 watts. Definitely violates the 3:1 rule. Somehow I doubt that Hendrix turned himself down... Those were the good old days, when bass dynamics meant "next to nothing". It was cool enough just to be able to get a fat and consistent sound. It's still cool enough for a lot of purposes, like if you're doing classic rock or blues, although you may need a little more headroom if you like to slap.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I feel bad for Mitch Mitchell. Surely he got his ears blasted off! I was in a medium sized club watching Robin Trower with 2 Marshalls (we had to shove cigarette filters in our ears,) I cannot image sitting next to 3.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I saw the Experience in this configuration and they were quite balanced. Noel's tone was like you hear on live cuts quite nice. Those Sunns were quite loud, the cabinets and JBL D140s (Noel used Altec Lansing 421a 15"s) were well designed not just boxes and were quite effecient. When Ron Wood ( now of the Stones) was the bassist in the Jeff Beck group (get Truth and Beck Ola) he used two Marshall Majors with four 100 cabinets while Jeff used two 100 watt heads with four 50 watt cabs. Woods tone was noticeably Rotosound twangy rasp. Noel had that tone on Crosstown Traffic but you generally hear a smoother blend of treble with nice American Motown fat mids and lows.