Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise coming from body somewhere???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr.bassman, Apr 24, 2003.

1. mr.bassman

mr.bassman

Oct 9, 2000
    Hi, I have a fairly new Modulus Flea bass 5 string with a graphite neck, and when I put new strings on it I noticed a noise that was not very audible with the old strings. (But I put the old strings back on, and I can hear it with them, so I know that it is not the strings making the noise.)

The noise sounds like something is vibrating in the body, neck, bridge or headstock-it's hard to tell, because you can here it all over. It's sort of a HISSING ("ssssss") vibrational noise and it gets picked up by the pickups on the lower notes (with the most vibration) and fed into the amp!!!

I heard from one person that it could be the truss-rod vibrating in its cavity, but the Graphite neck is almost perfectly straight so I don't think that the truss-rod could be loose.
    Can anybody give me some help on fixing this terrible problem???
    :confused::(
    Thanks

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    your tuners might be loose. check all screws. just check everything that can be taken off.
    i had this same problem, and it turned out to be the tuners.

steve

3. mr.bassman

mr.bassman

Oct 9, 2000
    Thanks for the advise, I already checked those, and most of the ones on the bridge too, I'm pretty sure the're tight.
    You do mean the screws holding the tuners to the headstock right? Or is there something in the actual tuner itself that could be loose?

Thanks
    Ryan

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Check the ones that hold the tuners to the headstock. If the tuners have a removable cover, take it off and check.

Maybe the new strings are a different gauge than the old and aern't in the nut very well. Check the nut too. :)

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I had the same problem with a vibrating E string. Turned out that the 20 year old nut had worn out... go figure :) .

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Ones that had me going for a while were-

small crack in nut under E string. Couldn't find it till I changed strings, and then still couldn't really see it at first. Really hard to tell where the rattle/buzz was coming from, but I superglued it, and now it's fine.

Loose strap locks/buttons can cause some weird vibrations too.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    look at the tip of tuners, where you put your fingers. there is a screw to adjust how hard it is to turn the tuners.

nut sounds look it could be it also.

steve

8. I had something similar happen to my Jazz once...turns out it was the spring on the g-string saddle. If you adjusted the intonation with the new strings, it could be that.

9. mr.bassman

mr.bassman

Oct 9, 2000
    I think I found it! It looks like there is a either a crack or just some vibrational wear in the nut in the slot for the B-string. (hard to tell) It sounds like the string is slightly too loose in the slot and that is where vibrational "hissing" is coming from.

Does anybody know how much is would cost for a new nut and replacement labor?? Or is it easy to do a really nice job yourself? I'm very handy with this kind of stuff, but I just don't want to mess up this beauty of a bass.-it looks so nice right now.
    Othewise I was thinking of putting something (maybe thin cloth) into the slot to make it a tighter seal on the string-any other suggestions???

Thanks for all the help eveyone, I don't think I would have ever thought it would be the nut.:)
    Ryan

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, I never would have found mine either, just a fluke that I happened to look close enough. That's why I figured I better mention it...

My tech told me you can sometimes build up the slot with superglue. Take the string out, put a few drops in and let it dry, see if that tightened up the slot enough. If not, putting in a nut isn't too hard I don't think.

If it's actually cracked like mine was and you can pull the little piece out, supergluing it back to the nut worked for me.

Hope you get it fixed! Glad you found it. Weird that a little crack can make that much buzz, huh?!

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    It may just be me, and that's fine if it is, but I wouldn't put superglue into the nut while it was still on the bass. 2 reasons why

1) if it doesn't work, the bad nut is now stuck on the bass and it gets real fun to remove.

2) if you don't wipe off any and all excess glue, well, most superglue I've seen goes on clear, but dries white.

A new plastic nut can be had for a few bucks, and putting one in isn't hard. If you decide on the replacemnet route, look into a better material than plastic though. I personally like graphite ones. :)

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That thread title made me giggle.

brad cook