Noise coming from my effects loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Archon113, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm using a Unibass UB1 pedal in the effects loop of my Ashdown Mag combo, and I'm getting an unreasonable amount of noise when it's plugged into the effects loop. It doesn't make any difference whether the pedal is switched on or not (it's true bypass), and I don't get this problem when I plug the bass into the pedal and then into the input of the amp. Can anyone suggest what the problem is and how to fix it?
  2. No offence, but are youm certain that you have the Send and Return connected correctly? :meh:

I only suggest it because I inadvertently connected mine wrongly the other week while experimenting with various effects pedals and the noise was truly horrendous. :eek: :eek:
  3. Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    Yup, it's definitely plugged in correctly.
  4. Mmmmm. Bang goes my theory then. :meh: :meh:

Assuming that you are using 2 leads to connect in the loop (when you get the noise) as opposed to only 1 when connecting "in front" of the amp (when you don't get the noise), are you sure that both the leads you are using are screened? :confused:

I'm clutching at straws here, but I'd like to help if I can. ;)
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Plug a cable from the effects send into the effects return. Listen to your rig. If it's noisy, then you'll know the problem is in your amp's effects loop itself. If it's quiet, and noisy when you insert the pedal, then the problem is in the pedal or in your gain structure.

Does your amp have an input gain control?