noise/experimental bassist club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thorsoundcore, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ok, so yes, i did a search on these, and no, there wasn't anything.. clubwise.

anyways, i just started getting into lightning bolt, sonic youth, etc. and i've already been into heavy experimentation with my bass and guitar playing. i love effects and noise, the wierder, the better (IMO).

also, i love the whole running various items up and down the strings thing. i frequently use screw drivers, sometimes drumsticks. also, i've found other electronic things can make some funny noise through the pickups like electric razors, phones, etc.

yeah, wacky to some... i know. but is anyone out there with me???

2. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    yep, noise is fun

3. indeed. some authentic input right there..
    post music is also fun.

4. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    haha, yea, i've tired right now.

before i played bass, i did avant-garde/experimental/noise/drone/acousmatic/tape music, and am trying to get back into it. I've been listening to a lot of interesting stuff...

i also very much enjoyed shutting down my last band's inprov/songs with wall of bass noise by turning on every pedal on my pedal board

5. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    >Implying avant-noise isn't much better than post-music

6. I love having noise jams. The way I see it different types of music focus on different aspects, some focus on rhythm, some on melody, some on harmony, and usually a varying mix of them along with timbre. But noise music is a complete focus on timbre in my opinion, melody, rhythm, and harmony are not important and purely accidental, the main point is timbre, experimenting with the textures of sound.

7. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    this was the main thing about my improv-post-avant-garde-acoustmatic-tapemusic, i wold always record things and change them and distort them to make the timbre how i wanted.

that's the thing with noise, it's the harshness, the smoothness, how the sound feels, not so much what it is.

8. not really, if you were thinking that's what i was trying to imply. that post was very sarcastic cause it seemed almost like he was joking. i pointed out the post music thing cause it said he was in that post/math rock/math core club. the two mentioned by you ^^ imo make a great blend. i wouldn't say either is better than the other. noise is definatly more underground though..

that being said, is there anyone that wants to get this thing going?? or is this just a dead thread??

9. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    sorry, didn't mean to seem like i was joking. if you are talking about noise in the sense of noise, drone, tape music type stuff, i am VERY into it, always have been into listening to it, and went back and forth in making it.

if you mean making lots of noise while playing "normal" music, i am also very into that, as well, haha.

sorry, i still feel like i'm coming off as an ass. I dunno.

10. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    Err, yeah... I was joking too. Sorry.
    I'd be glad to get this thread going, though, why not? Seems like an interesting topic and I'm sure that there are plenty of people on TB who play noise music. Right, guys?

11. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    Rika from Melt-Banana is a great bassist. I've been loving their album "Charlie" lately.

12. that's fine lol. my posts were very sarcastic too. and yeah, i'm kind of into both ideas, the whole expirementing/making no sense with noise and also applying it to normal rock music.

lmao....hahaha!! apperently not.
    oh well..

13. M-dawg

M-dawg

May 25, 2009
    I love noise/drone/experimental/atmospheric music

I do a lot of looping/sounds with my bass in a few groups I am in. I recently came across a bassist from checking out some nels cline stuff named Steuart Liebig, he does a lot of cool things from what I've heard!

14. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    Oh I love this kind of stuff(except for some reason Sonic Youth, for some reason I cant stand them). When it succeeds its wonderfull. Its an easy way to fail big, but its alot of fun either way.
    Im finishing up a smallish 'concept' kinda thing now, thats an experimental project. I cant wait to get it done, and mixed, and up online.

15. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Is this club dead? I'm about to form an experimental band where noise and free music is going to be a incorporated as a part of the expression.

16. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    I've been a LOUD noise, experimental, atmospheric, shoegazey bassist and guitarist for about 10 years. It's always a good time when I have a pair of overdriven tube amps, large speaker cabs, pedals, eBow, slides, hammers, and vibrators. I like to wire unusual circuits in my instruments and use unusual stringing/tuning setups to obtain unique soundscapes.

17. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    Nice revival, guys!
    I'd forgotten about this thread.

18. howdy, noisy neighbors! if there's something join-able here, count me in.

19. 5656130

Jun 6, 2011
    Mississippi
    Well i have a nice custom looping pedal that makes all kind of wacky noise

20. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021