Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise from bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insighted02, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Hey there,

I tried out my favorite current bass and found that the sound that was coming from it was admitting a slight hum.

Through process of elimination, I narrowed it down to the bass itself because another simular bass through the same amp and cord produced a clean sound.

At first I thought it had something to do with the strings but this noise is too subtile to be any kind of fret buzz. The action on both the basses is low, but the good one is setup the same the "broken" one.

I've narrowed it down to the electronics of the bass.

For about a week and a half I took a break from practicing , I cleaned off a very thin layer of dust off the bass with a rag and guitar polish. Rubbing off a (very thin) layer of dust didn't do anything to remedy the problem.

I need some advice before I take the guitar to a luthier to have him check it out. Is there anything that I can do myself that can prevent a trip to the music store? What do you think is the problem.

Bass: Ibanez SR405........(it's been wonderful...:D :( )
    Oh no, I'm talking about it in past tense already......

Thanks to any that can help me.

-Insighted

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Is it properly shielded? Another possibility could be a loose or failing input jack. One of mine was humming recently and I discovered that I neded a new input jack. Problem solved.

3. The bass has been properly shielded from the second I've bought it from the music store which would be about......three years (min.) I replace the input jack once and with reliable Switchcraft products.....it's been about a year and a half on that input jack. It could be that.........

ADDITIONAL INFO: I considered that It might be the battery lack of power left that may be producing the hum. Although it's never made that sound before when it was running low on power, it's something to consider.

Thanks for your help paleale

-Insighted