Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise from emgs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skorzen, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    ok here is my weird problem: I have a set of EMG jazz bass pickups installed with a EMG-EXB in one of my basses. It has worked great until yesterday. Now it still works, sort of. When I turn up the EMG-EXB it only boosts the signal slightly(no apparent bass or treble boost like it is supposed to) and I get a LOT of hissing noise. the same noise occures to a lesser extent when I turn up the tone control(towards a "cleaner" sound) I also notice that I also get noise when I turn both pickups down, or to a lesser extent if only one is turned up. Any ideas?

2. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    soudns like a bad ground or bad connection open it up n check it out

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I should have updated this, I have localized the problem to the EMG-EXB. I think I am going to take the opertunity to upgrade to a full three band eq preamp setup.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

OK, I'll chime in with what may be a real dumb suggestion (that you've probably tried anyway)......change the battery???

Just in case you haven't already!

Hope you get it sorted!

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Yeah I tried that. The battery that was in there was still pretty good, but I changed it anyway. Same problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

To be honest I figured that you would have - I'm just one of those numbskulls that forgets the bleedin' obvious a lot of the time, and I just pass on the experience I have from making mistakes!

Hope you get it sorted - or upgraded!;)