noise from emgs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skorzen, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    ok here is my weird problem: I have a set of EMG jazz bass pickups installed with a EMG-EXB in one of my basses. It has worked great until yesterday. Now it still works, sort of. When I turn up the EMG-EXB it only boosts the signal slightly(no apparent bass or treble boost like it is supposed to) and I get a LOT of hissing noise. the same noise occures to a lesser extent when I turn up the tone control(towards a "cleaner" sound) I also notice that I also get noise when I turn both pickups down, or to a lesser extent if only one is turned up. Any ideas?

2. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    soudns like a bad ground or bad connection open it up n check it out

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I should have updated this, I have localized the problem to the EMG-EXB. I think I am going to take the opertunity to upgrade to a full three band eq preamp setup.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

OK, I'll chime in with what may be a real dumb suggestion (that you've probably tried anyway)......change the battery???

Just in case you haven't already!

Hope you get it sorted!

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Yeah I tried that. The battery that was in there was still pretty good, but I changed it anyway. Same problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

To be honest I figured that you would have - I'm just one of those numbskulls that forgets the bleedin' obvious a lot of the time, and I just pass on the experience I have from making mistakes!

Hope you get it sorted - or upgraded!;)