1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise from J p'up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chipsonfire, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    Hey all, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is so I couldn't really search for it. If it's been dealt with before please just scold me and point me in the right direction :D

ANYway, my problem is that my amp (Behringer BT108) tends to buzz loudly when my bass (EST B50) is angled at it a certain way; namely whenever the strings are not directly facing it. However, it goes away when I turn down the J p'up and does fine with the P. It almost sounds like it could be feedback, though I'm not entirely sure what that sounds like. There's no place in town that has a bass amp I'm aware of to test to see whether it's the bass or the amp (though I'm guessing its the amp cause it's a POS and when I wire my guitar into my speakers it does fine). :help:
    Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? And any ideas as to how I can go about fixing this annoying setback? Any suggestions are appreciated :cool:

2. Sounds like an earthing issue.

Does it hum less when you have your hands on the strings?
    My venerable MM is probably noisier than most other basses- (as are most Musicman basses I believe) - and I've kind of trained myself to always have a hand on the strings at all times. For one recording we even rigged up a bit of wire which wrapped around my wrist as the song had a lot of open notes.

Are you playing anywhere near anything giving off electromagnetic radiation?
    I find Flouro tubes can give out a lot of interference. It could even be worth moving your rig to another room and seeing if the problem gets any better.

3. oh and... you can actually get the cavity of the bass and scratch guard coated to shield the electrics. I've never done it so am not sure how effective this is.

4. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I'm 99.9% positive its the relation between the bass and the amp, because it changes as i turn the bass. And holding the strings doesn't do anything, I just tried that one out a second ago. I have fluoro tubes in here, but I think that is what might be causing the constant buzzing, as opposed to this buzz that seems to get worse or better depending on the position of the bass and the setting on the J p'up :meh:

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    There's nothing happening here that shouldn't be expected. All single coil jazz pickups have hum when they aren't paired with another single coil jazz pickup. When you point it at your amp (or computer or a light or anything electrical), it gets louder because it's picking up frequencies from that device (EMR - electromagnetic radiation, as mentioned earlier).

Improving the shielding on your bass will help reduce the amount of noise you hear, but it won't ever get rid of it. The only way to do that is to change pickups to hum-cancelling (aka humbucking or stacked) pickups, or precision pickups.

6. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    You frickin nailed it. I didn't even think that, when I'm turning it away from the amp (that's when it starts to hum) I'm turning it towards my computer. I pulled the amp and bass away from the computer and it was much better. I almost feel stupid, but not quite 'cause I didn't know this was a problem with single coil J pickups. Thanks for the quick answer :)

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    LOL I felt the same way when I first got my MIM jazz so many years ago. Took me a while after a lot of research to finally figure that one out.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Its EMI, generated by the power transformer, received by your pickups. Unlike RFI, EMI is unaffected by shielding or hum-bucking pickups. Its effect can be minimized by turning either the amp or the bass, as the strength of both the emission and reception is affected by the orientation of the lines of flux from both the transformer and pickup. The best cure is to simply get farther away from the amp.