Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise Gate controlled Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Now, I haven't built this in real life, but it seems pretty cool on my computer. Its basically like this: you set stuff up so that you're playing with a certain strength and the sound is clean, but then if you dig in, the distortion/OD kicks in. I'll post sound clips of my attempt at modelling this with computer effects. In real life I guess it'd have to be some sort of dual out switching noisegate type thing.

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    that sounds a little bit like the akai shred`o`matic. with that unit there are several settings, and basically the strength of your attack makes it switch between tube and solidstate clipping. its not exactly the same, but it might be worth looking at. good luck, hope to hear some clips soon!

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I thought that a noise gate cut out all of certain frequencies, so wouldnt it just cut your signal out when you played hard, instead of adding distortion?

4. Yeah but he is saying the distortion is turned on and off by the noisegate I think... like controlled by the envelope attack of your playing...

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In which case he doesnt want a noisegate he wants an enveloooper.

6. What I mean is as follows:

For any sort of actual usability this could all be variable, but ffor practical puposes I'll stick with fixed values:

Say when you play regularly, your maximum signal averages at 10 (Completly inaccurate figure, but it'll do.) So you set the unit to keep the signal clean unless it goes above say 11. And so, when you dig in, and your signal is always above 11, the sound is distorted. You could even have like overdrive and THEN distortion, but that would get a bit fiddly. I'll make some clips now, gimme 5 minutes. ITs rather rough now, but I'm sure it could be useful.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude, that would be awesome! You mean like an Envelope Distortion right?

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    That would be insanely cool. An attack-variable distortion unit... the harder you play, the higher your gain goes up, thus more overdrive/ distortion. If you produced it, I would buy one.

9. Note, the worlds worst clip ever, the distortion is horrible, but you can see that it kinda turns on and off at will, this is the best i could do at nihgt and ****, I'll post better tommrow or whatver.

Basicalyl a distortion pedal that kicks in once you dig in 'X' hard. ya.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah man, if you came up with this, I would buy one immediately.

Couldn't you just open up an envelope filter and just mess with the circuitry?

11. I'm studying Mechatronics, so I can make one from scratch ok. I just need to play around a bit more, but nice to see there's interest. Just in case there is some law about this I Copyright this now! hehe Anyway I'll look into it. Keep up the good work!

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have an idea.

Get a good tube preamp.

13. There's that, and then there's the whole other thing we were talking about... :(

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    By setting the gain on your amp so that you get extremely high overdrive when playing hard and then rolling back your volume or playing softly, you can do the same thing you are talking about.

I do it all the time.

15. Well ya, thats where I got the idea. The point is that you have GOOD CLEAN tone when you play regularly, and then to the 'Note' you can have OD/Distortion/Crazy Death, depending on what you want. Hey man, if you think its useless I think you haven't quite grasped the concept.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have no problem getting a good clean tone and then crazy death by varying my bass' output. I usually use a combination of my EB Volume pedal and my own playing dynamics.

Im not saying that its useless, but just that its already been done.

17. Ok, let me elaborate. This would be 'real-time' no setting volume moving pedals or nothing, pure and simple, depending on how hard you play. And it hasn't 'been done' if anything, its been attempted.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sure I could do it without my volume pedal too, all by touch. I use the volume pedal because its easier to control my level that way.

19. I think the purpose of this would be to offer a more variable OD, and at a cheaper price than with a tube preamp.
    But I may be wrong.....