1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise Gate for Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretless bass, Mar 26, 2006.

1. I was wondering would a noise gate do the job of getting rid of unwanted hum on a jazz bass. The single coil pickup hum is killing me. i just heard a noise gate might solve the problem instead of shielding everything up. any help here would be great thanks.:meh:

2. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Well, I use a Decimator ProRackG noise eliminator. It has two channels, and may not fit the exact definition of a "noise gate", but performs a very similar function (only supposedly does a better job).
    So I run my bass into it, then the preamp section of my amp, and I send it back through the noise eliminator at the end of the effects loop. It is very flexible - has plenty of adjustments to fiddle with. I think it would help with your problem. Or any noise gate would, really.
    When you set the threshold, you should set it so that your amp is free of hum when you are not playing anything. The noise gate sees a low signal, and takes those low levels and just drops them straight to zero(-ish). Then when it sees a bigger signal, it lets all the sound through... including the hum, but you shouldn't really be able to hear the hum, because the rest of the noise that the bass is making overcomes the hum.
    One thing I should mention... the Decimator is probably WAY overkill, and you should be able to find a cheaper solution. It is very, very nice, though.
    Try a gate out at your local shop.

3. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    A noise gate only kicks in when there is a very low signal - ie, cancells hum when you're not playing. They won't do anything to get rid of hum while you're playing.

60hz hum is a fact of life with a single-coil, passive, jazz bass, when you've rolled off one of the pickups. There is no shielding that can get rid of it. Your options are either a humbucking/split-coil pickup, or an active setup, or both. While these will get rid of the hum, you'll no longer be able to get the nice, airy, tone you get with a straight single-coil J.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    You can reduce the hum by cutting a rectangle piece of thin sheetmetal to fit in the bottom of the bridge pup cavity. Use a screw to hold it in place along with a wire lug. Do not run a separate wire for grounding the plate just use the ground from the pup. Cut the ground wire from pup to volume pot for the bridge pup and Connect the ground wire from the bridge pup to the wire lug then connect the rest of the ground that goes to the volume pot to the same wire lug.
    Make sure you do not lower the pup where it touches the plate or you will produce hum.