1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noise gate for pickup hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seanm, May 7, 2006.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am running a P bass -> ART Tube MP -> Behringer EP1500 -> LDS cab.

The real problem is the Behringer, I have it maxed out and am not getting enough volume. I know I should replace it with a better power amp or get a second cab, but I am looking for a cheap solution since this rig is just used once a week for practice.

I have the preamp running with over +30dB gain (gain and volume at 3:00). Any more gain and the pickup hum becomes very noticable when we stop playing.

1) Would a noise gate in front of the preamp solve the problem? Or is the pickup hum too low to trigger it? This is a fully shielded bass and is very quiet. It is only the high gain that is causing problems.

2) If a noise gate in front of the preamp won't work, are there any inexpensive line level noise gates. I want to spend $100 or less.

3) Will a Boss NS-2 work? I have heard people complain it does not do much for cutting guitar hum.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :rolleyes: Where did you hear that? I find it works perfectly if you stick the gain causing stuff in the loop. IME it actually negates a lot of the hum, even while actually playing a note!

3. Put simply, a noise gate will only assist you if you can put it after the source of the noise.

If ALL the noise is being generated in the pre-amp, you need to put it in the effects loop. If however it's being generated by the bass and just exacerbated by the pre-amp, it might help to some extent.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A noise gate for a bass amp is a band-aid solution at best.

Focus your attention on eliminating the source of the problem, not covering it up.

5. yea a gate won't really get rid of any hum/buzzing noise totally.. ur gonna have to tweak something in the bass or the pre-amp