1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise gate, Hum eliminator? Help, lol

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rakie, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Well, just looking for something to cut down some noise. This drive's me particularly crazy with new strings, and if I change to guages of strings i use or try to lower my action too low.

I get lots ot little clinky string noise, I dont get it on my buddies setup or on his bass, just on mine. The action isnt too low for it, but its close ;p

Beside that little clinky noise, once in awhile i get a little bit of sound problems with muting, i'll miss something and a bit of sound from an unmuted string will come out, nothing horrible or probably uncommon for most players to have sound escape once in awhile, but I want to know what i would use to get rid of that.

These arent essential... but i really dont know, or understand anything about Rack systems, Effects or any of that... So the evil clanky noise I get once in awhile and some occasional string sound let loose are what im looking to get rid of.

These would be fixed by a Noise gate correct? To block out the low volume "annoying" sounds?

2. Your post is pretty vauge, so basically I'm just gonna list off stuff related to noise...

You say its string rattling? Thats fretbuzz. Your action isn't the only factor in this, you also have to check for the amount of pressure or relief on your neck's truss-rod. Generally you want your neck as straight as possible, but some people prefer it with a bit of relief. Take your bass into the store where you bought it and ask them to do a complete set up, checking the neck and the bridge. A noise gate wont help any with fretbuzz, thats all your bass.

The whole fretbuzz thing is usually worse with new strings, especially with Steel strings. But if it keeps up after 2-3 days of playing, you need to get it checked out.

The whole muting thing, thats all technique. You just need to practice muting more often to get better at it. Perhaps take a hint from Victor Wooten and take a wristband, like a sweat band or one of those band wristbands you can get at Hot Topic :)rolleyes:), and pull it over your headstock, and let it pull on the strings, but only just beyond the nut. This will help with string noise that comes from bad technique. But if you take it too far past the nut it will completley mute the open strings. For an example of what I'm talking about, watch this: . Both Victor, and his brother Reggie on guitar are using wristbands for mutes to help with noise. Victor's is thin, barely noticable.

The only thing noisegates will help with is electronic noise... 60's Cycle Single Coil pickup hum, feedback from overdriven or distorted amps, noisy preamps/effect pedals, etc. That kind of stuff.

3. Rakie

Thanks a lot, i get what you mean. Yeah I know my muting isnt perfect yet, its decient but once in awhile something will get through, and when its something that seldom happens, its much mroe noticable so it sticks out.

But, i was also talking about say, sliding your hand up the neck to a new position, or say you're just going up an octive, the twangy noise you get from sliding your hands up the neck. Thats another sound I get once in awhile.

Im sure its much different for the instruments, but a friend of mine (Gear head Guitarist) uses a noise gate and it got rid of that sound, its the same sound I get, he plays guitar for RCC Marching band, and plays lots of melodic runs and such so he's ALL over the fingerboard, and it helped with sounds like that a lot, so I figured it might help a bit with mine.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i don't think a noise gate will help in your situation. it's all technique and setup.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A noise gate can help with some of the between-note background sounds. The thing to know though is setting the action of a noise gate is always a compromise- the more it cuts out the between-note noises, the more it cuts off the attack and decay of your notes! Also, not every noise "eliminator" is a gate, or just a gate. The ones that are advertised to eliminate hiss are also filtering certain high frequencies out of your signal at all times. That could help with the fingers-grazing-strings sound, possibly. But it will have an audible impact on your tone as well.

But I guess if you are playing in a horribly rauccus environment like a marching band, nobody will notice.

6. Get some of that string cleaner stuff. Do you have new strings? Also, which of your basses? Or is it both? Wash your hands before you play and wipe down your strings after. All of those things will help with the squeaking.

7. Rakie

It only happens on my Lakland, my Cirrus is silent, my friends Schecter is Silent, my cheapie "Rogue" four banger is silent.

Its the only bass of the bunch that has Bart's on it for pups tho, not sure if that make's a difference.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use two of them, and move them around, depending on the part I'm playing. I tap also - and for that they're pretty-much required, for my sloppy style!

Here's a practice clip from just night-before-last.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1618771676
    The two bands are at what I've found to be the... mute-iest: on both the second and third frets ('cause I WANT to 'completely mute the open strings'!).

They wouldn't help fret-buzz, though - as you can well-hear in the recording... But if it weren't for the mutes, it'd be a horrendous mess!

Actually - maybe what it is, is that you don't care for roundwounds. Have you tried good flats? Once I went to T.I. Jazz Flats, I couldn't go back!

Joe

9. Rakie

Thats possible... Idk much about the different types of Strings you can use. Im usually stuck with Earnie ball / GHS Boomers, i need to start buying online so I can get an actual selection.

I hear a lot about the TI Jazz flats... Are they the "Flat" strings they use on Fretless basses? Or is it just a name?

I should go to the string forums, hehe.

EDIT: I think I kinda figured it out... I dont have these problems when the strings wear in a little but it take's them awhile... Maybe one of these days i'll have to dip my strings in butter ;p

10. As far as that string noise goes, with the sliding, try turning the treble down on the bass's EQ or on your amp. That was the first thing I learned with active basses. Went in, played an Ibanez BTB (that I bought as my first bass), and asked why it kind of squealed as I slid up the string, the guy said, 'O, thats all your treble, you don't want to turn that up much' and turned down the treble knob on the bass. It wont completley stop it, but it will help a lot.

And I didn't mean to attack your playing or technique. After all I've never heard you play;) Just saying, that helps with muting. I use a wristband on my Cirrus for when I let my solo bass player out and go for some tapping. It helps a lot. And if you do want to mute the strings completley, you can move the wristbands further up, but you just never mentioned wanting that, so I didn't reccomend it;)

11. Rakie

Yeah, I normally have the treble down a bit, with new strings its way down, I'am just really, really picky with sound... I was the only 15 year old I knew with a 5.1 DTS home theater system in my room, hooked up with full fiber optics and all monster cables. It was great, there was no noise floor. Being a bit of an Audio freak make's it very annoying ;p

And no, i didnt think you were attacking my technique, but now i do !!! (lol) But yeah, i was thinking of adding something like a hair band to my bass to help mute when I tap.

After lots of reading, i discovered I dont know much about practically anything pertaining to the bass, other then the actual bass. Never used effects, only tried two types of strings, ever. Never had a good cab before. I think I just need to do lots of experimenting and reading to learn more about cabs, amps, strings and such...

Thanks a lot for everybones help, I really appreciate it.

12. Well I wasn't attacking, just on a second reading, I realized thats what it sounded like;) :p

Its just with the bass, like all instruments, there are so many more factors in producing sound than with standard audio equipment. The body wood, fretboard wood, pickups, preamp, bridge, strings, cables, effects, amps, speakers, etc (Of course your fingers are the #1 factor, but you cant replace those;)). And each of those factors has a breakaway list of factors just for that. So there's a lot to keep in mind.

I did nothing but study before I started buying equipment. And I'm still pretty thurough about purchasing new equipment. Gotta read up on it, try it out if possible, then keep in mind all the other factors in my gear. So yeah.

Good luck.