1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise gate/ multiple dirt pedal help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmasta117, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Hi Bass effects dudes! After a long time of just sticking with the same board, I went a little pedal crazy and have gotten back into the thick of it. Attached you'll see is my board, and as you may notice I have 4 dirt pedals. I love combining them, but obviously feedback happens very quickly. In fact, even just the little red fuzz pedal (a rams head clone) will cause instant feedback if I stop playing. This means I have to turn it off INSTANTLY if I'm not playing. Very annoying. So I bought a mooer noise killer. It kills quieter noise, but I really want it to kill the loud feedback I get when I have multiple, or just the rams head dirt pedals on. But As soon as it kills that feedback, it kills my bass too, as if the feedback is just as loud as my bass. I can't wrap my head around how to get it to grab the feedback but not my bass. HELP

Attached Files:

2. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Your feedback IS just as loud as your bass so there is your problem. The noise get can't tell what it's supposed to do.
    Here are my suggestions but none of them may come cheap:
    1. this pedal by Zvex might solve the problem as you put the pedals into the loop of the noise gate while letting your bass go through untouched.
    1b. Now I think of it, maybe that would work just fine if you already have a pedal loop handy and stick the fuzzes along the gate into them. Cheaper solution than the Zvex.
    2. Use an eq, most likely parametric, to dial out the frequency that feedbacks. The trick is you'll need an advanced pedal or rack eq that lets you adjust a really narrow band (Q setting) of sound since you don't want to take out huge chunks of your sound out.
    3. Maybe you could try and use a comp with side hain capabilities. If you plug the bass as the sidechain trigger, it will allow you to turn diwn the volume of the feedback every time you play, letting it come back when you don't. Might be a very musical and creative solution!

3. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    If you have one pedal instantly causing feedback, you've got a problem, either with that pedal or something feeding into it. If the problem occurs when you aren't even playing, that's an even bigger issue. You likely have something generating noise earlier in the chain.

What do you mean by "feedback"? Is it just noise, or the high-pitched squelch of actual feedback? Do you get it if you play with headphones? What power supply are you using? What's the pedal order? When you say "just the little red fuzz" causes the problem, do you mean literally that fuzz all on its lonesome, or that fuzz and no other fuzzes but maybe other pedals? Does it happen if you literally go from your bass to that fuzz to your amp? (Not just turn all others off, but take them out of the chain?)

4. I'd reccomend looking for a different solution. For example instead of using a noise gate for the dirt pedals I'd control them with a boss LS-2 or one of a million bypass looper pedals. Particularly since you said you use different combinations. because a line selector type pedal will isolate the dirt pedals from your signal and it allows you to set up combos of dirt pedals without changing the sound and then you can bring whatever combo you want all at the same time. Being able to go from no pedals to 3 or 4 pedals with one stomp is pretty fun.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What is the pitch of the feedback? Also, does the feedback ramp up when you stop playing or does it start instantly?

Does the problem persist if you pull the ram head clone off your board and run it solo?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. dairyman3833

dairyman3833

Aug 19, 2010
    Chicago
    Im not allowed to say really.
    Don't wanna steal this thread but with all those pedals how do you tame your gain staging? Meaning if you go from playing clean to a fuzz/distortion or both doesn't it increase your volume? How do you tame your volume with not comp at the end of your chain? Not that that would necessarily cure it, but still. I would put the filter effects post distortion, then delay's at end of chain. That MXR going into say the B3K would prolly cause some feedback without playing. But with all those pedals you'd want a gate prolly, the above mentioned is really good one. Haven't used it but I have used this ISP Technologies Decimator II Noise Reduction Pedal which is great.