Noise Gate Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shockadelica319, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Shockadelica319

Shockadelica319

Apr 19, 2018
    I'm looking for a noise gate pedal that won't just silence any noise in between notes, but one that cuts off the notes quickly, giving a sort of choppy sound. I haven't been able to find any videos of someone using a gate pedal in this way (especially with a bass). Do any gate pedals on the market even do this sort of thing? I have a synth pedal that goes sort of crazy sometimes with tracking, and would like a gate pedal to cut of the effect signal shortly after I pluck a string.

Thank you!

Zbysek likes this.
  2. The two popular options seem to be the Boss NS 2 or the ISP Decimator II. A few years a go I had a Rocktron HUSH. It was good at cleaning up fretboard and fingering noise, as well as noisey distortion pedals.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Gate pedals seem to generally work better for guitar choppiness than bass afaict. I have a Behringer (it sucks) but have since tried others... And have yet to find a stand alone gate that does what I want. I've found input volume controls can be really helpful in decreasing random sputter - what's the synth in question?

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I'd say check out the Zvex Loop Gate or TC Electronics Sentry. Both of these should have a sensitivity control that you can use to chop notes off early. The others either don't respond quickly enough, or can't adjust the gate shape to chop.

The Malekko Sneak Attack has a similar ability, however I wouldn't recommend it for this application because it's a timed envelope, and not based on playing dynamics.

k.graz likes this.
  5. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’ve played through the Sentry and the MXR Smart Gate.

Both do what you ask.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. Shockadelica319

Shockadelica319

Apr 19, 2018
    It's a Boss SYB-5 synth pedal that was given to me. I like the sounds, I just get some crazy noises when jumping note to note sometimes, I just want a gate to cut the sound off quickly. Trying to make it sound like an actual synthesizer, like hitting a key on a synth really quickly.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Shockadelica319,
    You may want to start a thread with the SYB-5 in the title to tell folks what's bothering you and see if any TBrs can help. I believe there are a lot of SYB-5 users on this forum who might be able to help.
    Good luck!

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

To reliably create the effect you describe probably requires access to the various parameters: threshold, ratio (reduction), attack, hold and release. I don't think you will find that in a pedal. What is a Noise Gate? - Record, Mix & Master

IMHO for regular noise gate duty...go for the ISP Decimator II G-String version. You plug your bass into the G-String so it can develop a side chain gate key off your clean/uncompressed signal. The signal runs out the other side of the pedal to your effects. After your effects, the signal is routed back into the G-String where it is gated by the pedal's side chain key. Although it's a bit more complicated to patch, it's easier to use and the gate performance is greatly enhanced.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    adamaarts likes this.
  9. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I've had the ISP Decimator II G String and currently have a Decimator II at the end of my dirt and a Zoom MS-60B at the beginning of my dirt that has their noise reduction. Both are fantastic. I feel like the ISP adds a very subtle treble bite thing. Barely noticeable and doesn't add any hiss, it's really nice actually and accentuates choppy settings.

In all honesty I'd recommend picking up an MS-60B used and trying out both the noise reduction thing they have as well as the noise gate (which is capable of more chop), either singularly or together. They are easily just as good as anything else out there.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    You mean like what's in the TC Sentry TonePrint editor?

https://media63.music-group.com/media/sys_master/images/hb7/hd2/8823349248030.jpg

Wasnex and GentProvocateur like this.
  11. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I asked about the same thing along time ago and was told ''to improve my technique and use a foam mute and if I wasn't satisfied with the noise between the notes try using flats''-I wasn't happy with his answer back then but it did help even using rounds. I never told him that he was right in my case.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021