1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise gate recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phatbass, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I'm looking for recommendations for a noise gate in pedal format. Before I start searching the local stores, I thought I'd draw on other folks' experiences with what's available nowadays.

I specifically DON'T want a rack unit for this as I want something about the size of a Boss pedal I can just throw in the gig bag and run off a 9V battery (I will be trying the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor when I can find one, although I find Boss stuff sometimes tends to be tone-suck hell) .

Although I'll get one if there's no alternative, I don't really need or want one of those "intelligent" noise gates that analyse the signal, etc.,etc.

I KNOW how to use a noise gate properly so all I want is one that opens up when the input signal exceeds the threshold and closes at the rate set by the decay control when the signal falls below the threshold. All it needs to have is controls for threshold and decay. Perhaps output level as well. On the occasions that I use the thing it'll be on for the whole gig, so a very important factor is sonic transparency.

Also, I don't mind paying a little more for a better quality unit.

2. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    you´re talking about noise as in "white noise" (can´t describe it better)? then I can´t help.

but if hum is your problem, have a look at the electro harmonix hum debugger. works good!

3. The Boss NS-2 is good pedal, I haven't noticed any tone suck in particular with it.

The instructions will tell you to use the pedal's built-in effects loop, but you don't need to. The pedal works just great if you wire it up as if it were any other pedal in your chain.

Definately a good buy if you have a noisy signal chain.

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've used the NS-2 for years. It serves a dual purpose for me. I use the loop for all of my effects, and I use it as a tuning mute. It's a great pedal, and is cheap to boot.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    For general hiss and static, the ISP Decimator is unbeatable.

6. +1

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The ISP Decimator is unbeatable, but it's not a noise gate with envelope controls. The ONLY noise gate with envelope controls, in pedal form, that is any good IMO is the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics. The gate in that is surprisingly good quality. (...and I have tried a lot of different gates for comparison.)

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If I wanted, say, a noise gate that would strip out any string noise I generate - extraneous stuff that I don't want tracking electronics to hear - would I be better off with the Decimator or something else?

I'm not concerned about trimming out "noise" as in hisses or hums but more trying to tidy up the edges around synth-type sounds.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Decimator is designed to filter out a certain range of hiss whether you are playing or not; it is not designed to mute sounds that are not hiss. A noise gate will mute all sounds, whether hiss or string buzz or whatever, whenever the level of the sound falls below the threshold. But as long as some part of the signal is over the threshold, it will not mute anything.

10. I think it really depends on what you need from your gate. Are you looking to just get rid of a little bit of hum or are you looking for something to clamp down on noise from distortion? If it's more of the second thing, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that works as well as an NS-2, especially when you use the loop function. I play in a hardcore band, so I have to have a choppy, precise sound, so the NS-2 does the trick for me.

11. Sounds like what you need is something like this:

Symetrix 511A

I haven't seen anything like it in pedal form, but it's a great rack unit.

It is a single-ended noise reduction unit, and I've gotta say, when in use it is pretty impressive; it just removes grey noise from behind a track, it's amazing!

If you turn the threshhold (I think that's what the knob is labelled) up too high, it starts to cut the snare and cymbals (i.e. high frequencies) so I imagine that it would do an awesome job of removing any unwanted "artifacts" from your tone.

hope that helps!

12. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    hmmm rocktron hush is in a pedal form but ive heard mixed things
    really depends what sorta noise you're dealing with i hear...

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Thanks for the advice guys. It's a case of one of my pedals being a bit too sensitive to input and tracking any string noise and other detritus I produce - I'm trying to weed most of that stuff out before the pedal.

I've just got the one gate here (an old DOD FX30-B) and it doesn't open or close fast enough for my purposes.