Noise gates

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I've never used a noise gate, but I have heard what they do. What are the pro's and cons for using noise gates on bass.
    Also what brands do you recommend?
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    It's basically supposed to reduce general humming and noise from a high gain source when it's not being played, i.e distorted guitar. So, I wouldn't generally recommend one for bass, unless you are running a pretty dirty signal and you feel you need one.

The only one I ever used with guitar was one made by digitech. No complaints, for the short time I used it.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    A noise gate is very simple. You set a threshold. As long as the sound level remains below the threshold, nothing comes out of the noise gate. As soon as the sound level exceeds the threshold, then the sound comes out of the noise gate. There are also time delays built in to prevent causing wierd effects due to the music taking quick dips below the threshold.

Now the bad news, noise gates reduce your sustain because it will kill the output when the sustained note is no longer louder than the threshold. They can also cause a delay in your attack if you go from silent to a sudden sound like a slap.

Personally, I find the noise gate unappealing and instead try to eliminate the sources of noise in my rig.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    dbx 150
    rocktron hush
    boss pro ns 50