Noise - I need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ampeglb100, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR

OK, here is the situation:

I recently moved from my previous apartment to a condo. The apartment was built about 5 years ago, good construction. At home, I play through an Ampeg B2 and a 4X10 cab and/or an Ampeg combo. I play G&L LB100's most of the time (P-bass). I had no noise issues the entire time I lived there.

I moved into a condo built around 1987 or so, recently remodeled. Little to no noise during the day, but every night around 9-10pm there is serious amount of higher pitched hum/noise/whatever that goes throughout the night. Nothing it my setup has changed. I don't have anything in my place that turns on during this period, and all of the outdoor lighting comes on much earlier (5-6pm). I have already tried a Furman PM-8 Power Conditioner and did absolutely nothing as far as reducing the noise. Is there anything on the market specifically aimed at reducing the noise in the electrical system before it reaches the amp? Again, P-bass pickups (split humbucker) and it does get reduced a bit when I am actually playing (i.e. grounding the bass) but it is still very strong. Don't have this problem at band practices, so this is not a sheilding issue, or any issue with the musical related equipment (as far as I can tell).

Any ideas?

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    have you tried moving it to a different room in your condo? Maybe your picking up some RF from an alarm? maybe the association turns on a piece of equipment at night only and it goofs you up. you can always try running a stake into the ground outside and using this for your equipment ground.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    is the noise directional? meaning, if its like an electrical interference buzzing and you turn your guitar one direction or another does the noise decrease?? if it does not decrease then its in your electrical system. are you using single coil pickups? try humbucking (pbass) just to test the situation.
  4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    we've had problems before with: Banks (alarms), police stations (RF interference), Ham operators, large CB setups,two way radio's, etc. Try a canare instrument cable it has a design to help prevent RF interference more than a regular cable will. Otherwise, create a large tinfoil TPee that you practice under at home:D
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Check out Sutton Designs NETSavers line conditioners (models LC600 and LC1250 ):

The Furman products are just glorified surge protectors that don't provide any voltage correction, and only minimal filtering.

If your amp has a removable power cord, you might try a shielded power cord to help reduce the RFI noise.