1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise in a Fatdrive - bad tube?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowTone56, May 15, 2011.

1. LowTone56

LowTone56 Guest

Mar 30, 2009
    I plugged in a SIB Fatdrive and can hear a slight hissy noise through the cab. Increase the Fatdrive volume knob and the noise gets louder. When I remove the Fatdrive from the signal chain, the amp/cab are dead quiet.

Not a big deal when the band is playing, but annoying in the home studio.

Anyone know what might cause the noise? Bad tube?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Noise has a world of possible causes. Believe it or not, "bad tube" is one of the least likely. More likely would be something wrong with a ground wire or a weak solder joint, or a difference in ground potentials between the pedal and the amp.

You can try a new tube, it's a cheap and easy step to find out whether that will help.

It's also the case that tube preamps very often hiss a little. Out of the couple dozen that I've owned, only a small handful didn't have any hiss.

3. LowTone56

LowTone56 Guest

Mar 30, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will try a new tube just in case. I had a tech check it out and supposedly had a clean bill of health. Your last comment may be the issue. I've never used a tube preamp before and have no experience with the hiss. It's not a major thing. I happen to be used to dead silence through my normal solid state rig. Really liking the tube effect with the Fatdrive.