Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise in hartke 3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    My hartke 3500-head make quite some noise. But when I turn turn the tweeter of my peavey TX410 down, the noise is gone...and when I turn the tube control of the amp down, the noise is also gone...
    I'm pretty shure that the noise is in the amp because you can hear it when using the DI-output.

The tube isn't the stock one. I replaced it 16 months ago...

What could it be? The tube itself, or some dust in the tube socket? Can I fix it myself?

Thanks!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd open it up and try to 'reseat' the tube...that may do it.

3. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    With 'reseat' you mean taking it out and putting it back in the socket? Okay...anything that I should take care off? I know that I should use something to hold the tube (not taking it in my bare hands) and that I have to disconnect the powercord...

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    HF noise from the 3500 is normal, unfortunately. I went so far as to replace the cheap stock op-amps in mine with high end Burr-Brown chips, which improved the situation but did not eliminate the noise. It isn't audible when you're playing but can be quite obnoxious when you aren't, especially if you have the tweeter level high. If you can't live with it get a noise gate and insert it in the effects loop.

5. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    But the HF noise is only in the tube section...isn't it just the tube?

6. Certainly disconnect the power cord, but there's no problem handling the tube with your bare hands. (Assuming of course your hands aren't coated with goo :D )

Tubes aren't like quartz-halogen light bulbs, the glass envelope isn't near as hot. So the oils on your skin don't afect the tube's glass one bit. I've seen tubes operate merrily with all sorts of crud on them.

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    3500's just have hissy high end. Just cut the highest fader on the graphic EQ till it goes away. You are probably getting better high end response from the tube preamp, which is exacerbating the hartke hiss. Good luck.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It certainly shouldn't be worse though the tube input than through the SS. If anything mine runs quieter through the tube side. If the tube is noisier than the SS I'd swap out that tube.

9. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've had one of these heads since '92. What he said.