Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise Music: Fuzz and Ring Mod Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I have a Fulltone Bass Driver and use it constantly, but when it comes to me electric bass playing I have been delving deeper and deeper into the noise idiom of experimental music. With the Fulltone I also use a moogerfooger lowpass filter, akai headrush, Ernie Ball volume pedal, and akai unibass.

Thats not much but I try to keep it relatively simple and have effects that I can put to much use as apposed to one trick boss pedals and such. For a while I was trying to get as clean as possible but ever since I have moved to double bass I have found that I have two faces of playing now: clean double, noise electric... and i love it.

So after some fiddling tonight I realized that I need something a bit more intense. I instantly thought that adding both an additional distortion/fuzz pedal would help but I am undecided on what to check out. The local shops are dry so I'm going to have to buy to try. Im not really looking for a boutique pedal unless it is absolutely worth it. I was thinking more the lines of the Big Muff Pi, Boss Metal Zone, ProCo Rat, or others. I want something absolutely over the top... the sort of "melt your face off" distortion. Unfortunetly, the Fulltone is not really capable of this.

Also, after checking out some boutique range ring mods I realize that this another must have item. The Moogerfooger and Lovetones look the most appealing but my checkbook says otherwise. Any advice?

Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. well, i actually like the ring mod on the BFX-708...there are some sound samples on the pedal sample thread page if you like...i had a bfx-708 and i was actually able to find a use for that ring mod. i'd give it a try...

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Do you want a pedal that will retain the low end, or doesn't it matter?

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I do solo bass noise/electro-acoustic stuff. (which you can check out HERE).

One thing you have to remember is that good noise orientated bass playing come from your technique as much as your effects, you must first forget all what you think is "right" when it comes to your playing.

After you get that... Effects seem less necessary, but still important... If that makes any sense...

As for a fuzz, try and find yourself a Japanese fuzz knockoff from the 60's or 70's. It is worth the search, and you can hear a Shin Ei Fuzz all over the link above. Unfortunately they die easily (especially if you tour or play a lot of gigs), mine was given an early funeral last year. The Zvex Wooly Mammoth and Black Cat Octave Fuzz work wonders for noise.

Ring Mod is a very personal thing... I would not be able to do what I do without one, and I have gone through many. Currently I am rocking out with a frostwave blue ringer, and it is the single most BEST ring modulator on the market. Why?

1. Instrument input
    2. Mic input
    3. Carrier input (really cool)
    3. CV control input
    4. Its a true analog FM/AM ring mod

Other effects that help are reverbs - placed BEFORE your fuzz, and a few delays never hinder any progress. But since you are such a big jerk and have a HEADRUSH! :crying: loopers are an indispensable tool, its very much an important thing in noise music for there to be layers. Also placing any effects in the "wrong" order is a great way to experiment, as well as feedback loopers like the Death By Audio Total Sonic Annihilation.

Now that I have said all that check out these bands:

Dying Ground
    Gravitar
    Halo

They are all bass driven noise rock, and they all are amazing... Kato Hideki is the GOD of noise rock bass in my opinion, he fronts Dying Ground. He was also in Ground Zero and Death Ambient.

Cheers

Alex