Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise noise and more noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 8, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i play a fender MIM P and i use an ART bass Phat Boy pre amp; it has a compressor and limiter of which i use the limiter.
    with the limit all the way up when i take my hands or any contact with, off the strings it makes lots of noise and if left will creat feedback on its own
    will running the pre amp into a rack rider or some conditioner reduce this noise?

2. You may be getting extra noise because of a grounding problem so check that out first. A power conditioner may reduce noise in the whole system, but it won't solve your problem. What you need is a noise gate or single-ended noise reduction like Rocktron's HUSH circuit. I really like the Rocktron HUSH circuit personally because it makes the transition gradually and naturally compared to a gate which is either open or closed. That said, any noise gate will do the trick for you. Set its threshold high enough to stop the noise you're having a problem with and there you go - done. For the ultimate, go for a Rocktron HUSH unit.

Brian

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A limiter is a type of compressor, compressors boost low-level signals to decrease the dynamic range.

The problem is you are setting the limiter control all the way up. The lower you set it the less noise you'll hear. What is going on is when you let go of the strings, all the residual noise in the signal is being boosted a huge amount.

Why are you setting the limiter so high anyway? The proper setting would be such that when you hit the strings hard (like for slap/pop playing) the limiter kicks in to prevent the signal overdriving your amp but in normal playing it should have little or no effect.

Easy way to set it:

1. set volume knob on bass all the way up

2. Slap all four strings with your open palm HARD

3. Adjust limiter control until it engages when you slap the strings

4. If you do slap/pop playing, increase limiter until it engages when you pop a string but not when you pluck it normally.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is like those Doctor Jokes - "Doctor my arm hurts when I do this" - Doctor : "Well don't do that then!". ;)