1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noise, noise, NOISE!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassandbeyond, Sep 29, 2008.

1. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    Humbuckers, single coils, active, passive, well shielded, not well shielded, well grounded, not well grounded, expensive, cheap.....it doesn't seem like anything I try guarantees a clean, useable signal in all environments! :bawl:

Just had another bad experience at a festival gig this weekend. In this case, I'm pretty sure the sound company's cheap DI was to blame (my rig sounded great on stage), but I am just really frustrated that even the most expensive 21st century gear still never assures a clean, useable signal under all circumstances.

Most of my basses are expensive, active, well shielded instruments and are very quiet in MOST situations. But every one of them has produced unacceptable hum and noise at one time or another. Ironically, my cheapest, unshielded bass with EMG PJ pickups seems to be the most noise resistant of all, but even that one has let me down a couple of times. Does anybody have or know of a bass with magnetic pickups that never has these problems?