1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise on a Jazz with an Audere

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I am very pleased this morning! I was having MASSIVE hum and noise from my Jazz and Audere. I couldn't figure it out, the Audere been installed for years. Noise when I let go of the strings and when I touch the pickups.
    Shielding? Of course, so I shielded the cavities of both pickups and the control cavity. Still noise.
    Took the bass in, tech said it's the preamp. I called Audere. They said definitely not the preamp grounding issue. My tech said couldn't help me and suggested I convert the bass back to passive. Of course, I didn't have the passive control plate anymore and he was going to order one from Fender for me for about $70. Wife says, "see, you shouldn't have messed with the bass years ago" Then...

I went to the Audere website, under their FAQ section, looking at "Hum" and "Pickup noise".

I added more shielding to the inside of the pickup covers so the whole pickup is surrounded by shielding. Then I added a strip of shielding on the bottom of the magnets themselves, soldered a wire to that shielding and ran it to the body ground.

Pickup noise and hum ENTIRELY GONE!!!!!! I am jumping for joy. I own shielding and solder gun already, so I only spent $0.29 for the wire!

One happy bass player here. Thanks has to go out to Audere for their great website. I really didn't want to lose their awesome preamp in this bass.

Now it's time to shred!!!