Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise on svt-2pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Jun 30, 2005.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hello, I'm trying to understand if noises of my svt are real, or just a normal problem for a tube amp. I play it on an ampeg svt 410hlf on 4 ohm. I've this new head and this new cab, so i put connect all the cables, and i push master on the highest position, to set on the gain my output level (i use to play this way to get the higher possible clean sound level). But here's the problem. With gain on min. position and master on max position, the bass doesn't sound (and I'ts normal with gain off), butt the cab produce a constant noise...not so high you cant play, but my transistor head, doesn't produce any noise, even playing at full power. this noise doesn't increase if i turn the gain, is indipendent from gain, is a "power tube sound" maybe...but It's normal, or will I go to ampeg to have a check on my head?
    I'm waiting for your opinions,
    Thanks,
    Michele

2. Its hum, it happens, im sure there is a way to sort it, i know for a fact on the back of my SVT II (its the non pro version tho), theres a "Hum Control" dial, honestly i dont know what it affects, but maybe you need to tweak that? (by you, i mean someone who knows what they are doing, no offence)

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if there is a dial in the back turn it all the way down, hum will go away.

my 610hlf has it, not sure if your 410hlf has it.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    if it is noise, like a "hiss", you might just have a noisy tube. If it is hum, you probably DO have a tube with "heater leakage"... so its bad.

Running master at max will normally give the most hiss-noise. You might check to see if you need to do that.

Then also, that speaker has a high frequency horn, and you probably don't need it full up. Try turning it down and you may find there is no noise problem, and you still get your "sparkle".