1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise on the Firewire - where do I start?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I recently purchased my first mixer / recording device. It's an Alesis Multimix8 Firewire.

Everything seems fine from the mixer point of view.

As soon as I plug in the computer, via the firewire interface, I notice noise coming from the monitors.

Any clues, suggestions, ??

THANKS

2. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    If its a "Crackel" type of sound try inceasing the buffer size in the software.

3. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    Ballanced speaker cables?

4. I will give that a try. Thanks,

However, just to be clear the noise happens as soon as I connect everything. It seems buffer size would only matter when recording and/or playing back?

5. It's probably a ground loop.

Try plugging the speakers or the mixer into different outlets and power bars.

6. Well, major progress. Root of the issue is identified just needs a solution now :)

It seem to be a laptop power supply induced noise.
    It goes away when I run off of battery.

Everything is plugged into the same power strip which is properly grounded etc. I assume the AC/DC converter power pack is dropping the ground reference somehow.

Since my current laptop is using a PCMCIA Firewire adapter I'm wondering if there is a BIOS setting for PCMCIA Slot Power?

???????????

7. ReedSpacer

ReedSpacer

Aug 9, 2006
    Is your laptop an Acer?

8. Im having this exact same problem with a saffire unit and my Imac. Weird....

9. Nope, it's a Dell Precision M70.
    Next week I'm getting an HP. Hopefully that will be better, but I want to figure this out.............

10. Finally got the new HP laptop. Installed everything and still have the same problem.
    Cr@p!!!

I has high hopes since this one even has the little noise suppressor barrel clamped on the power cord.

Anyone ever figure out a solution to this problem?

11. 2minkey

2minkey

Apr 23, 2006
    seattle
    try turning off any wireless devices. sometimes that helps.