1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise problem with ehx XO BMS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RCCollins, Sep 19, 2008.

1. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I recently posted in a review thread about a problem I've noticed with my XO BMS, and I'm posting a new thread because I got a replacement and it has the same problem. I'm starting to think this pedal just might not be a keeper, and that I should go back to my old, full-sized BMS.

There is a very audible, disturbing hiss/click when I mute a string, lift a finger off a fret or even just a let a sound run to its end. Seems like some kind of gate noise. On some settings it is worse than others but it consistently bugs the bejeezus out of me.

Here's the details: I use passive basses. It does this on both my solid-state and my all-tube amp. I've tried using various cables. It makes this noise when used alone, so it's not an issue with the chain.

When I contacted ehx about this issue, they said it sounded like a defect. The retailer I got it from has been really cool about it, and sent a replacement without waiting for me to return it. He checked out the replacement for noise problems before shipping it to me.

The replacement got here yesterday an it has the same problem!!

What could it be about my setup that causes this problem? I used to have a full-sized BMS and it didn't have this issue, and my setup was the same. Could it be that I just don't like the XO BMS? That would be a shame...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated; I need to return one or both of these and I don't want to keep the retailer waiting, as he's been so cool about this. Hopefully I can decide by Monday; I am also waiting to hear back from ehx in the meantime.

So yesterday the replacement got

2. It could be a grounding/shielding issue. To check if I'm full of it, just put your spare hand on the bridge after you lift your hand off the string. If you stil here the noise, I'm wrong, but what you're describing sounds vaguely familiar to what I get sometimes when I'm not touching anything to ground it out. Just a thought to help you with your predicament.

3. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    That's totally conceivable, thanks. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. thanks though!

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Odd questions...
    Is your XO BMS using the provided power supply and is it plugged into a surge protector?

Is your surge protector (if you're using one) plugged into a good outlet (no cracks on the wall plate, wire doesn't move once plugged in)?

Does this happen on different wall plugs or have you been using the same one to do all the testing?

Does the click happen on all settings?
    Does it only happen with the rate up?
    Does it happen when you make the start and stop at the same level?

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Sounds like an operator error. Replace operator, and try again :p

I have no idea honestly. Maybe it's those trimpots I hear so much about.

Rratajski. I dig your tremolo pedal. I think I may have to pick one up once I have an income again.

6. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Hijack moment --- Thanks McHaven! Hit me up on myspace or PM me! --- Hijcak moment over.

7. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    These, too are useful. Thanks.

Yes, I'm using the power supply that came with it. No other effects are being used. The same problem occurs whether it's plugged into the wall or a surge protector. I have tried various wall outlets but only in one location; I will try it a couple other places tomorrow.

The sound (which is more of a hiss/pfft than an actual click) happens to some degree at all settings. At noisier settings it is somewhat more tolerable. It does seem to be most pronounced when the start and stop level are both low, but they can be at much different levels, and the rate has little effect.

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Of course I know I have to adapt my playing style to a synth, but this noise is ridiculous.

I haven't opened it up yet, not sure I want to before at least hearing from ehx first.

9. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    OK so I dug up my old settings template to see if the "recommended" settings show this problem. They minimized it a lot.

Thanks rratajski, your asking if the noise occurred only when start & stop were at the same level was very helpful. When they are BOTH very low, the noise is at its worst. Fortunately, having them both way way down isn't a very practical setting.

Methinks it works OK now; the first one I got had a deformed screw on the bottom and wouldn't open, so it is still a legit return.

Time to start messin with this thing now!

10. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Stoked to hear how things go!
    Keep us updated!

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    thanks for bringing back the GAS.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    UPDATE:

prepping for a jam sesh today I got fed up again. I re-checked rratajski's comments in a previous thread, and realized my pickups ARE kinda on the high side.

Lowered my pickups and now there is but a faint trace of gate noise. :D

Thanks again rratajski!

13. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    np, man. hope it works out for you!