Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by karxix, Dec 11, 2003.

1. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    i have a yamaha bass with new duncan pickups
    and i have had this problem before and after i changed the pickups:
    when am playing, for no reason (and not always), the bass starts doing noise, it usually does some noise and when i place my hand on a metal part the noise goes, but there is this other noise that for random reasons kicks in and doesn't go unless i put the jazz pickup volume to 0,before the noise there's a kind of click sound and then it starts "zzzzzz"ing

any idea what's causing this ?

2. You could try to use some conductive copper tape to shield your PU and control cavities to reduce hum and noise, maybe it will help

3. WhatOtto

WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    I have the same problem with my G&L L2000. I found that this always was differnt depending on where I was playing.
    For instance, when at home I play mostly in my basement, which has a flourcent light, and buzz is pretty loud. But when I play in our practice studio, the buzz is still there, but not as loud. and then most times where we have played live, and there was absolutely no buzz at all.
    So I figured that as long as it did not buzz at a gig, I was OK.

Try playing in another place and see if the buzz is there, if not you could just do some sheilding of you electronics.

4. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    yeah, actually it varies on where the bass is located but i would like that to no longer happen