Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by karxix, Dec 11, 2003.

1. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    i have a yamaha bass with new duncan pickups
    and i have had this problem before and after i changed the pickups:
    when am playing, for no reason (and not always), the bass starts doing noise, it usually does some noise and when i place my hand on a metal part the noise goes, but there is this other noise that for random reasons kicks in and doesn't go unless i put the jazz pickup volume to 0,before the noise there's a kind of click sound and then it starts "zzzzzz"ing

any idea what's causing this ?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sound like a grounding issue to me.

Moved to Setup.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, somewhere you have a bad ground connection. Did you reconnect the wire that goes to the bridge from the control cavity when you put in the Duncan pickups?

4. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    i think it's grounded properly since when i touch the metal, the noise goes
    but this particular noise only comes in sometimes after doing a "pop" sound then goes after a while
    am sure it's not the pickups since hte problem was there with the old and new pickups, so i dunno what else might be causing it...
    is it possible the wiring is not properly shielded (electromagnetic waves and stuff)?

5. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    could it be your amp?... my bud plays on a nice Hartke 1441 or something like that... it was an awesome amp, but it had a ****ty input and sometimes it would make loud pops and grrr.... noises...

~mikeym

6. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    na, the amp is very good
    i have another bass (ibanez btb1005) i don't get any noise with it, i'm using the same cables and everything

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    This is actually a very good indicator that the electronics are NOT grounded properly. When you touch the strings, your fingers are providing a new and better ground path into your body, which can easily dissipate the current.

The other noise is likely a different issue. It is tough to say what it is without hearing it. You may be overdriving the preamp.

Shielding noise is pretty obvious and would be fairly consistent. It would not increase as a result of playing. In fact, it is usually only audible when not playing unless it is very bad.

It would increase around sources of EMF. You may even hear broadcast in your amp if not shielded correctly.

8. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    ok, thanks guys
    is there any "do it yourself" way of doing the shielding ?
    and how to procede?

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you go to www.stewmac.com you can buy shielding tape as well as shielding paint. They both are exactly what they sound like- apply them in the control cavity of your bass and make sure they are grounded as well, and you'll be shielded. :)

(You only need one or the other.)

10. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    ok, thanks! will work on it myself