1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noise-problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basst scho, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    hey guys,

some time ago, my ibanez sr505 started to hiss when playing (only when playing, theres nothing when not touching a string)

it goes away when i roll the treble completely down, but when flat its hissing...

i think i ruled out everything other than the bass, tried different cables, different "better quality" battery, direct to interface, through amp (rumble15, dunno about my hartke in our rehearsal room, there is always noise because of old/bad electricity), through the zoom b1 ran on batteries (so not a bad electric circuit in my home)

don´t know if i described it correctly and if hissing is the right word for it (no native english speaker) but fact is, it doesn´t sound clean.

any ideas?

2. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I believe if the noise gets louder when you touch a string, it's a grounding problem.

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Does the noise start when you touch the strings or when you play them? If it happens when you touch them but don't play anything, it could be a ground issue. Maybe the ground wire under the bridge isn't making good contact anymore. If it only happens when you play a tone I'd guess your preamp is shot. Both are totally fixable though a new pre will cost more than just redoing a bridge ground.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021