Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise Reduction or Compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Hi,

My bass has been pissing me off as of late, making alot of background noise, and I AM muting the strings I don't play...so I figure'd I need either a noise reduction unit or a compression unit.

Advice? Also, I have no experience with either, do they generally beef up your tone?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Garrett, is it noise like "hiss" or like "hum"? Or something entirely different?

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    a noise gate. dbx 266xl compressor/gate, $150 brand new.

4. Just sounds like my hand rubbing against strings...which is probably what it is :D Would a noise reduc get rid of that, or am I going to have to spend hours relearning technique?

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, let's see, do you want the "right" answer or the "convenient" answer? The right answer is, technique is the answer. Any electronic device you use for that purpose is just going to be a band-aid that addresses the symptom rather than the problem. No disrespect intended. I went through about two years of similar grief when I first started playing, so if "hours" is all it takes to learn good technique, consider yourself fortunate. It took a while for me to catch on to how important quieting the strings is, between notes. Good technique will help you in that area, and it'll help you for life. It's another version of the "teach a man to fish" concept. Bet that's just what you wanted to hear, right? :)

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It IS techinique related. But, you could be exaggerating it in w/ your EQ settings.

What I do for this is, to simply cut the treble on my bass' pre ever so slightly... I run my amp 100% flat & the basses pre pretty flat, w/ a slight bump in the mids.

Depending on the song, vintage songs,, like Eagles or something, I'll go w/ the treble cut for a warmer sound... If I'm playing something a little more aggressive, I don't mind a little noise...

7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    what kid of bass and rig are you using that puts out so much noise? If it's finger squeak..have you tried flats?

if it's your electronics in the bass or the rig...I would remedy that at the source and not try to cover it up with gates or noise reduction.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I think that finger-ease, should help as well.

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC

When I was having a problem in this area (still do to some extent) I used a combination of the above statements. I turned UP the treble on my bass (or amp if you don't have an onboard EQ) to exagerate the finger noise, I woodsheded on this for awhile. I was able to hear more of the finger noise so I cleaned up my technique to lessen the unwanted noise. I also use a little finger ease mainly to clean my strings but I think it helps on finger noise (I like it on my neck). Of course mileage may vary, this is what worked for me. I think in the long run technique is the best investment rather than equip. Spend the 150 dollars on a book and some lessons.

10. Thanks for the tips guys, it helped alot. I'll lower my treble and work on playing cleaner.

:bassist: