Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MadPink, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Ive asked this many times and you all seem to ignore me, so Ill ask one more time. I have a chorus pedal, and it hums very loudly. Now is there a way of getting rid of the hum? I've placed it in the effect loop, I've changed adapters, and it still hums when its the only pedal in use. what can I do??????
    any input what so ever will be useful, so don't hold back thinking it wont be.

thanks.

2. Have you tried powering it with a battery?

3. no, but that would be out of the question...because i dont want to always be using a battery every time I play.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just try it with a battery, OK? The power supply may be the problem. Remove it from your rig, and see if the hum goes away... You may have something that's poorly shielded.

5. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    hmm, maybe its just the brand of pedal??? cause i know i have a ibanez distorion pedal that hums soooo much, but then again i have a boss distortion pedal that doesnt hum at all, so im guessing it might just be the pedal??

6. hmmm, yes Ill try the battery...because at the store we used a battery and i cant recall it making any humming sound there.

if it is a problem of it not being shield enough, what can I do?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, first you'd have to figure out what part of your chain isn't well shielded - I'd start with the cables, myself. You'll have to try varioous combinations of your current rig until you find what's doing it. It's a PITA, but there's no other way.

Also, be sure you route the AC adapter's cables away from your instrument cables. It may be as simple as moving the AC adapter's transformer away from the rest of your rig!

8. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Any time you plug an effect into the wall you run the risk of introducing 60 cycle hum. Using a 9V battery is the best way to make sure you avoid any noise associated with the power supply. If you unplug your cables from your effects after everytime you use them, most manufacturers say you can get ~ 100 hours of use. That's more than a few months for most of us.

9. would a M-135 SMART GATE help out at all for the humming?