noise-sensitive neighbors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by king_truffle, Jul 15, 2001.

1. king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Hey everybody, I'm not sure if this is in the right section but if not, please move it to a more appropriate section. I got a problem, my neighbors are very noise sensitive, any noise at all and they complain or call the cops. Its gotten to the point that whenever I take out my bass to play they call the cops or come over and complain. No one else in my neighborhood has any problem whatsoever with my playing so it seems kind of stupid to move out just because one person is complaining. I was wondeing if anyone had any ideas as to what I should do or if they had any tips to help. Thanks everybody.
  2. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How loud are you playing? What times? Do they work at night and sleep during the day? If you have a basement I would try and pratice down there. Or you could talk to them about your playing and work something out. But if all else fails screw them and play on or move out. Do what you can to try and get them to complain less.
  3. king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    I think I am playing at a reasonable volume, my amp has the volume turned up to the 2 and my volume knobs on my bass are both at the 3. I usually play in the middle of the day or in the early evening (like 6:30) but thats the latest I play.
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Makes me glad to live next to a drummer - the closest I've ever got to a complaint was that he once told me my time was a little shaky. ;)
  5. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    This week I got a little headphone preamp - it cost me a grand total of $30 (but I had to build it myself). Running it through my in ear Sony headphones it sound pretty good, quite middly, but then no complaints from the neighbours..

Have a look at radio shack, they'll probably have something similar.
  6. i just got a new 70 watt, 12in. amp, i cant wait to go and wake up my neighbors!!!, i'll go out and play at like 12 at night, :)
  7. Well, if your volume doesn't break noise pollution laws, then the cops can't do much about it. Eventually the neighbours will be warned for wasting police time, especially if no other neighbours have a problem with it.
  8. qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    At home I practice at a very soft volume, such that outside my apartment you hear nothing. I enjoy it just as much as playing loud...I can still hear all the notes. Plus the more you play quiet the better you get at hearing yourself.
  9. I have my own studio in an old industrial-area.. no problems for me :)

@ home i have a 30-watt amp, but most of the times i plug in a headphone..
  10. bassbeast

Jul 6, 2001
    I have the same senario where i live also. I use my headphones. Yes, i know you can't rock out with them on or jam along with a song. But to me, anything is better than having coffee with the cops!

11. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    IMO, your neighbors' right to *not* hear your playing (or whatever) supersedes your rights to make loud sounds. Sorry to say this. If they can hear you, it is because either you are too loud, or the soundproofing is inadequate - or both. Bass is extremely difficult to soundproof. If you live in an apartment, you really need to use headphones or a small practice amp at low volume - and as far from the neighbors' apartment as possible.

The ones complaining might actually get more sound transmission from your apartment than the other neighbors - or they might simply be more sensitive. Please be considerate. Someday you might have a place where you can crank it up without disturbing anyone. I'd probably live in a condo instead of a single-family house if it weren't for my music hobby.

- Mike
  12. Next time they call the police, ask the officer if he or she would mind coming into your house for a few moments and get their opinion as to the validity of your neighbor's complaints. If the police officer agrees with you that you are not causing excessive noise, you should file a counter complaint for harrasment the next time they say something. Sadly, there are some people out there who live to cause problems for other people. Do you live in an apartment or freestanding house?