NOISE Supressor Pedal? help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 11, 2005.

1. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    I have just set up my effects chain and its goes like this..

Q-tron+ > Aphex Punch Factory> Sansamp> Double Muff(distortion)> Aphex Bass Xciter>Digitech Bass chorus

I certainly like my setup, but my problem is with the double muff.
    When it is activated, there is a terrible amount of unwanted noise/hiss that goes out the amp. As I turn up the muffs, the noise/hiss gets louder and bigger. I tried turning down the treble and it still hissy. I have a Fender Rumble 100 combo, and I know its not the best amp but I'm sure the amp is not the main problem cuz the hiss comes only when the double muff is activated and especially with other pedals. I'm sure the problem is not cuz of my double muff itself cuz I think most distortion pedals give off a lot of hiss and unwanted noise when on.

I've been eyeing the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.
    do you know anything about the boss?
    if i should get the suppressor where should it be in the chain?
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dude - I never saw your post; just ran across it on an "NS-2" search, because I ordered an NS just the other day.

My in-store tests amazed me! That thing's going to work great, I bet, even with twin compressors driving an ODB-3, like I like!

Have you had a chance to try one yet?

It's pretty ingenius how that thing works: It detects for gate threshold right out of your bass, and then gates the noisy stuff that's in its loop! Thing-is, you can adjust your effects (and the noise level along with the adjustments) all you want, without having to re-adjust the gate threshold, PLUS the noise won't creep-up and make it hard for the detector to determine what part of what it's hearing is pedal noise, and which is a moving bass string!

I'll throw up a user report once I use it.

Seeya -

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    BOSS NS-2s are nice supressors. Dosen't effect tone, but gets rid of all that hum.
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I picked up my NS-2 today from Uncle Bob's Music in Milwaukee - and it was right on my way to a band practice, so I was able to give'er a good test with the full rig.

The setup is: Peavey Foundation-5 MIA (not electrically-shielded), wearing T.I. Jazz flats. This cabled to the BOSS NS-2 input jack; NS-2 output jack to a BOSS CEB-3 chorus, then off to the amp head. The loop send jack on the NS-2 goes to a CS-3 compressor (with tons of squash AND treble-boost), to Aphex Bass Xciter (both sections cranked-up pretty-good), to ODB-3 Distortion, and back to the return jack on the noise suppressor. The amp is a GK 700RBII driving a JBL JRX125 PA cab - 2X15 + 1"-throat horn; 2KHz crossover freq. The NS' is set Threshold=3:00, Release=7:00 (full-CCW).

The NS-2 performs perfectly. Perfectly. You can't even fool it; you can't make it exhibit any appreciable side-effect with any kind of normal fairly-clean playing. Even if I let a note die-out all the way, it very naturally and smoothly extinguishes the note at the end. At high-volumes, solo, it's pretty cool the way an extended played note wants to do infinite feedback-sustain, but then on the same token if I stop the strings, I can let-go of the instrument, and it stays muted (unless I bump something). The threshold is not that touchy; it's very forgiving - I can schwisha-swish my hands across the strings, and you can hear it very quietly, yet ANY tap or harmonic ping or light pluck opens the gate perfectly, with NO pop or click! It's not an off-on gate; it's much more like an expander.

I can use any amount of distortion I want - if I play clean (refering mainly to string-muting, of course), then even at high volume levels, with the ODB gain cranked it sounds 'noiseless' and dramatic; then if I bypass the NS-2, it hisses, hums, AND wants to squeal with feedback.

Even with more-reasonable, normal amounts of gain, it DOES make a difference - especially at higher amp volumes. It adds authority to a clean stop!

This was worth the money to me, for sure - and the more effects that I add, the more it'll be worth-it!

Another good and handy feature is the power output jack. It's a simple way to branch-out and power other pedals with the Boss Wallwart adapter and daisy-chain cord.

Bytheway: does everybody know how, because of the loop, this noise suppressor is different and better than any could be without this loop feature? It's a very cool, elegant, perfect solution. Remember that since the threshold is detected right at your bass output, it doesn't matter what you have in the loop, AND it doesn't matter if you change the gain and noise inside the loop - the pure-as-the-driven-snow bass signal is what's being detected! I was worried that maybe switching between single-pickup and humbucking dual pickups would disturb the threshold setting, but no problem - it's not that touchy.

Excellent product - it makes all my other pedals 'work better'.