1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise using two pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3rdworlder, Jun 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alright fellow four-stringers. My first post ever here in TB forums. Happy to be here, I think I'll introduce myself later in the proper section.

I have a question for you guys. A few weeks ago I bought a Dunlop 105Q Cry Baby Wah pedal, and started using it with no problems. Prior to that for years I have been using a cheap Rocktek distortion pedal, which is actually for a guitar (I just liked the sound, and kept on using it when playing hard rock). Thing is this week I got myself some cheap patch cable and thought about powering the two units with the same source so I've added an extra plug to it, and they worked BUT some nasty noise is ruining my sound. I thought it was the extra connection on the power supply, then I tested the each pedal alone on both plugs and they worked fine that way.

I tested them with the Dunlop going to the Rocktek and vice-versa and the noise just won't go away. Anything that can be done so I can get both pedals working together? By the way, my bass doesn't have active electronics.

Finally, I am not a pro bass player, I just play at home at nights and with a band once a month, so I am not looking for anything perfect. Just something "nice" if y'all know what that means, haha.

You all have a good weekend! :)

IMG_3638 pedals setup.JPG

2. I would bet that the issue is that variable power supply you are using. If you can save up for a musical quality power supply like a 1spot Boss or something similar.

G-Z and 3rdworlder like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Definitely get a better power supply. I’d recommend a Truetone 1 Spot as well. $18 well spent.

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Are you using that one power supply for both pedals? As in connecting both using the connected ends shown in the video? Yes, a different or second PSU us a good idea. That one has all sorts of open contacts that can make noise issue.

Further, the coily cable, that's likely another source.

5. Thank you guys for the replies!
    I will try using a 2nd power supply next week, and will see what happens.
    Also, I'm checking right now my chances on finding a decent priced Truetone 1spot :thumbsup:

G-Z likes this.
  6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Welcome to the forum by the way... :thumbsup:

bassbrad, G-Z and 3rdworlder like this.
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I would also ditch that patch cable. You don’t have to spend much to get one far better than that. Poor patch cables are a major source of noise that many don’t consider.

3rdworlder likes this.
  8. I wanted to thank you all guys.
    I took the coily patch cable back to the store and changed it for a better one. That coil cable was causing the noise, and with the new one it sounds very nice.
    As for the power supply, I will be getting a better one by the end of this month. Truetones are not as cheap as in the States in here, sadly.
    You all have a FANTASTIC week! :thumbsup:

Alien8 likes this.
  9. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    You potentially could reduce noise even further by floating the ground of the second pedal in the chain (eliminate ground loop; it's already connected via patch-cable ground)