Noise when bumping cavity

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Sep 20, 2004.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've got a Pedulla J2 4 string with a Bartolini preamp. If I fiddle with the knobs (2 band preamps) sometimes I get popping thuddy noise from the bass. Also, if I give the bass a good clunk on the front (near the preamp cavity) with the palm of my hand, I get a similar it's not the turning of knobs only. Presumably there is something exposed to something in there.

Before I open it up, any suggestions on what I'm looking for and what needs to happen to fix it?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This can be as simple as a loose battery clip.

I was having a similar problem with my Hamer 12, and noticed that the battery clip did not fit the terminal very tightly. I tightened up the prongs with some pliers, and that fixed the issue.

Since this is more of a repair type thread, I am moving it to Setup. Some of our wiring experts there can make suggestions on how to find cold solder joints, if it is not the battery terminal.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Check the battery terminals first, then use your finger or a wooden chopstick/pencil (to fit where your finger won't, not for safety- there isn't appreciable voltage in a guitar's electronic circuits) to gently push each wire at each connection while the bass is plugged in and the amp is on. You'll soon find which wire is the culprit. Then you have to find out if the problem is where the wire is soldered or if you have a wire that's shorting out due to metal fatique or damaged insulation, etc.
    cronoskus likes this.