1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noise with Wiring Question/Situation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dregsfan, Dec 9, 2018.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas

SEE THE THREAD FOR THIS IN "LUTHIERS CORNER" FORUM

Just wired up my USA Custom Guitars (body & neck) put together Precision bass, and am getting some noise when my hands are not touching the strings. It's quiet other wise. I know this is somewhat normal up to a degree, but I'm thinking it's louder than it should be. I did turn off all the dimmers on that circuit in the house. I usually use shielding paint but this body is front routed and chambered. There is no way to paint the entire cavity.
    I was very meticulous with the soldering, but I'm wondering if there is a cold solder joint that's allowing more noise than there should be. I've done this a lot, but really good soldering still seems not so easy to achieve. The volume & tone pots are working as they should.
    This time I used these soldering lugs for the ground wires since soldering to the back of pots has always been my least favorite part of the job. There are lots of positive comments on using this method. I was thinking this was going to be great but trying to get melted solder down in the cavity of the lug with 3 wires in place turned out to be well...………………… not so great. I first melted solder in the "tube", and then tried to heat it up to stick the wires in. Didn't work. Too much heat sinking from the lug being in contact with the pot. So I poked the solder out with a awl, and tried dripping it in with wires already in there.
    So I took it off the pot and let a clothes pin hold it and that was better.
    It just didn't feel like it was a for sure good connection. Maybe I should solder the wires together and crimp/squeeze the terminal shut with pliers. Soon I'll go thru and use a jumper wire and see if I can find the bad connection and/or take it all apart and do it again.

Please share any thoughts.
    THANKS.

RS4208[1]. This is what I used.

Just saw there is a different type of lug. Maybe I used the wrong kind of lug.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas