Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ga_edwards, Oct 12, 2002.

1. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Dunno if this should be in pickups, but here goes...

I have had a Thumb BO (2000 model) for a couple of years now with no problems. I have just added to the Warwick collection with the purchase of a new Corvette Standard active fretless. I understand that these two instruments have exactly the same electronics, MEC active J/J. The new Corvette appears to be much noisier. It’s the sort of pickup hum that disappears when you turn 90 degrees away from the amp. The Thumb has no such problems. Would this be a shielding problem, or something else?

PS I have sent this message to Warwick, but I am still awaiting a response.

2. Whats the shielding like in the bass? Are they wired up correctly.

:D:D

Merls

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It should be a difference in shielding/grounding.
    It could be individual differences between the electronics. They can vary rather (too) much!

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Right... I've had a looksie inside the control cavity on both basses, and compared them to the wiring schematic on warwicks website, apparently they use the same wiring...not so.
    The Thumb has 2 extra wires going to the p/u's which are the battery power wires. the corvette doesn't...hmmm. the corvettes p/u's are also labelled 'Dynamic Correction', these ring a vague bell as being passive. Maybe this is really a passive bass with an active pre-amp, as opposed to fully active, which I dare say would create the hum.

I've sent these findings to warwick, MAD (UK distributers) and the retailer. If it turns out this is wrong, and it should be fully active, as i expected when I ordered it, I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for a free upgrade of electronics.

5. Could it be possible that these two extra wires are around the wrong way? Take it through the right channels first though, just in case you void any warranty you have by err tinkering.. :p

:D:D

Merls