Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noise

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Achilles LS, Dec 7, 2002.

1. I feel I make much noise when I'm playing, especially when I open the high-frequencies of my bass pick-ups... what can I do to solve this problem?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Please tell me what kind of noise are you hearing. It might be related to your gear rather then your technique. Please try to be specific so that I might be of more help.

If what you your hearing is finger noise (sliding, scraping, tapping, etc) than you need to work on the way you approach the instrument. You have to work on being cleaner and more precise with both you left hand and right hand.

Try setting up your bass with low action and playing as soft as possible. Let your amplifier give you the volume. Now be very precise in your left hand fingering. Press down on the string only enough to make a clear sound and no harder. When you lift your finger up lift it only far enough as to let the string vibrate freely and no more. Try your scales and exercises in this manner - with a very precise and effiecient fretting hand. On the plucking hand, again, develop a light touch - only enough to make the string vibrate, let the amp do the work. You can even do this for slap technique, with some practice.

Develop some muting techniques. Many people use a right hand muting technique - I don't. I will mute with fingers on the fretting hand that are not in use. Once in a while I will pluck a string with my index finger and then mute with the middle finger as it gets to the string. Another way to get a bit of muting is the "Victor Wooten Method" - place a terry cloth hair tie around the end of the neck. You can slide it up past the neck, if you don't need it.

Please let me know more.

Thanks

Mike

3. No, you got it - It's finger noise I'm talking about!

It's a natural noise up to certain point, isn't it?

I'm tryin' to develop my mutting technique with my right hand - well I felt some progress when I could do Black Dog's line without noise... but I've never even tried to mute with my frettin' hand...

If I've got my amp to do the work, then I've got another problem - my amp has only 150W and I have some trouble trying to cover a bass drum... and if I push it too hard it distorts. Gettin' a higher-quality amp with more output power is impossible nowadays...

Well, thanks for your support!

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Another possible solution. Try different brands of strings. Some strings are inherently more noisy. I find that the nickle silver strings tend not to be quite as noisy. Flat wounds are less noisy. Thomastik Jazz Rounds are also not too noisy.

Continue to work on the efficiency of your fretting hand fingers.

Good luck, let me know how it goes

Mike