1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noisegate or microthumpinator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iggy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Need help fella's. Getting back into playing my five string Pedulla and when I slap and pop on my E string and G string my B string rings out underneath my playing. I do not have this problem playing my 4 string. I have any and all string noise subdued by proper technique and muting. It's just that B string is before the E string and picks up the vibrations from my slapping. Would you recommend noise gate or thumpinator? Any other suggestions? Thanx

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I don't think either of those pedals will help you with that...The MicroThumpinator is a high pass filter that removes anything below 30hz...so the B-string will still be heard...and a noise gate is used to stop everything or gate everything when the signal drops below a certain level...

What you might try (and I'm not sure if this will help or not), but put a strip of foam rubber under the strings at the bridge to slightly mute the strings...might help a little...

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    +1. Sorry, but your technique is not as clean as you think.

4. True dat, I can't slap my way out of a wet paper bag but I don't even attempt 5 string for that reason.

5. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    +1
    No offense intended, of course

The ol scrunchie trick will help a little, but you MUST address 2 technical points

-sympathetic vibrations happen, and you must use good muting technique
    -there's lots of accidental finger contact prone to happen on the B, left AND right hand. Economize your motions, especially with your plucking hand (don't swing your thumb like a bat)

6. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's some sort of product that exists that attempts to address this - don't remember the name but it's basically what fishtx mentions regarding the foam.

7. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Yep. I don't have the technique to slap cleanly on a fiver either.

8. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    It just seems like there is no way to dampen the B string because it's below the E. My left hand is muting on the E with my right hand thumping on the E string. There is collateral B string droning at a low level. My muting technique is excellent on a 4 string. I'm not hitting the B at all with my thumping thumb. Just the proximity of the close string spacing is making the B string release unwanted vibrations. Just wondered if other fiver players have this occur to them and what can be done to "help" the situation out.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They just told you. :) Learn how to mute that fifth string with some part of your arm, sleeve, hand, whatever; or use some foam at the bridge, or a scrunchie at the nut.
    :)

10. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010

Indeed.. i play a 5er, and when I started
    on 5, my muting became inadequate for the task at hand... Pun?

One big thing is that i use my forearm of my right hand and will use it IN SOME INSTANCES to hold the B at bay. It can also set the B a-rumbling.. in fact any muting technique when done wrong can actually articulate a note on an open string .. you will have those awkward moments as you learn how to mute the Beastring while slapping .. just be mindful of your technique; use a mirror, use a recording device so you can hear how effectively muting actually is to the outside listener without the interference from our brains while it tries to play and listen simultaneously..

We weren't being cynical before, if it sounds like a painintheass or like it takes a long time to master.. it is and it does... no pedal will fix it for you..

P.s. i didn't mean to seem to ignore th he sympathetic vibration thing.. its real and the B will rumble indeed with a variety notes played elsewhere on the bass- but the thing is, its still technique, no different than needing a cable or having to press the strings onto the frets, its anothrr annoying truth of the instrument, and all instruments have them

11. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Muting B string while playing slap is easy - once you get used to it. B string needs only slight contact anywhere, and will stay silent.
    I.E. your index finger is on third fret of E string, and you are hitting that G with your right hand thumb. You only need to touch B string with top of your index finger (while fretting G) to keep it silent.
    Once you get more control and precision with your thumb, you won't need this. Just keep practising and forget about technical shortcuts ;)

12. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    Yep, as mentioned... A slight touch on the B string (I use any left hand finger not in use).

It takes a LOT of practice, and some B-stringers ring out more than others. Luckily, the Thumb bass I use doesn't have a lot of sympathetic vibration problems like a few other basses I've tried, but it does do it (as mentioned, just the nature of the beasts we play with).

And yeah, no effect will help you, only technique.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How about a small piece of foam just under the B string?