Noiseless Aguilars humming! help?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by winterburn69, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    So I had some Noiseless Aguilars installed in my fretless Squier Jazz, recently I had to take it back to the shop when I realized they were installed wrong (neck pickup in bridge spot, bridge pickup in neck spot).

I’m getting crazy humming when I’m plugged into my Ampeg SCR-DI and using headphones. It only stops when I touch a knob or the control plate, only gets quieter if my hand is on a tuning key or the bridge, so this is grounding issue right?

There’s also only humming and buzz through my Ampeg SCR-DI and using headphones. When I’m plugged into my amp it’s dead quiet with no buzzing of any kind.

In the attached pictures you can see there’s a wire not soldered to anything, is it supposed to be like that? there’s also blue electrical tape on one of the wires, is that normal?

FFB5BF7F-AD39-459A-BF06-578507B0103B.jpeg 1E3795DA-081D-4776-89DB-587877CB6D38.jpeg B8590F7F-3B2A-40E6-AD0C-0A31BE900BD7.jpeg 313F1883-0A56-4B8E-AE65-EEFCC1BB7828.jpeg C2F8B62F-75B7-4023-B15A-CC3CE886D02D.jpeg

What exactly is going on here?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

What's on either end of the black wires that are soldered together?
    I'd give that shop a wide berth in the future, if they can't tell a bridge pickup from a neck pickup & have chosen to use that blue electrical tape to extend your pickup wire or cover bare spots (frayed insulation), instead of doing the job properly.

If touching the bridge quiets the noise, it's grounded.

Maybe the issue is with the Ampeg SCR-DI...

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Have you tried the Ground Lift button on the SCR-DI next to the XLR jack?

4. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    The black wires that are soldered together at the end lead back to the pickups.

Yeah I’ll definitely never be going back there in the future.

Touching the bridge only quiets the noise, it doesn’t get rid of it completely.

I have not. Will try that. Thanks.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021