Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noiseless fender jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by moosemoosemoose, Apr 29, 2005.

1. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi guys

Basically im want to know whether the afore mentioned pickups for a 5 string fender are active or passive, I've looked everywhere but cant find an answer. If it helps here is the bass im thinking of getting is here:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0157500883

Thanks guys
    Moose
    :ninja:

2. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    a little help?
    :eyebrow:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Those are passive pickups with an active preamp in the bass.

4. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    ok thanks man, so just to get this clear as i am obviously not down with any technical words, if i were to buy this bass is it passive or active?!!!!!
    Sorry for being dumb
    :(

5. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    in other words can i do a lot on tone fiddling on the actual bass before i fiddle with the amp?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes, with active basses you have more flexibility at the bass itself. This will make it easier to just set your amp then control the rest from your bass.

7. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
  8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yep.

Take a look at the specifications...

Both that it says 3-band Active EQ.. and there is talk about Mid boost/cut, Bass boost/cut should tell you that it is an active bass.

Passive J-basses for example usually only have three knobs; A volume knob for each pickup and then a Tone knob.

This one for example has four knobs and that is also a telling tale in itself.