1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups - Help me pick a set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stringthrough, Nov 9, 2018.

1. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Love my new MIA Fender Professional Jazz Bass w/ roasted ash body, but there is that hum again. I’d like to replace them with noiseless pickups that for the most part retain the Jazz Bass sound. I know TB threads are out there covering this topic but its been a while and new pickups come to market from time to time.

Thanks in advance!

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Fender Super 55s...so good they don’t make them anymore.
    Lace Sensor Man O War.

3. stringthrough

Interesting suggestions. I Youtubed the Laces and only saw metal demos. Are they "designed" for metal?

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Lace Man O’ War J Bass utilizes patented Lace Sensor technology, voiced in an aggressive yet controlled tone. It features precise harmonic content with an attitude that cuts through in any situation. Low magnetic pull increases sustain and its broad dynamic range will drive amps and effects better. The Man O’ War provides vintage vibe with modern punch and definition.

The Lace Man-O-War J-Bass pickups have the power needed to be big and bold on any stage, yet record with clear, clean punch. Detailed, focused and ultra quiet, they let play your music the way you want it heard.

Music Styles: Hard Rock, Rock, Classic Rock, Jazz, Blues, Funk, Pop, Country, Prog
    Think: Troy Sanders, Nikolai Fraiture, Tim Commerford, Darryl Jones, Verdine White
    Sound: In your face, punchy & dynamic bass, sweet upper midrange, & a silky smooth top end, that will make your presence known!

(There are other Lace pickups, of course.)

B-Mac and stringthrough like this.
  5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I had both the DiMarzio Area J (dual coil) and Seymour Duncan SJB-1 (single coil) side by side at one time and really couldn't tell the difference in sound. Area J would be my suggestion.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Just to be clear, does this noise stop when you touch any metal on the bass or does it only stop when you balance the pickups? If it is the former, your bass needs shielding, not humbuckers.

For humbucking Jazz pickups, I prefer Lindy Fralin's but they are more of a vintage tone. I don't know if that is what you are after.

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    SD Apollo Jazz pup set

stringthrough and Zoobiedood like this.
  8. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    These are my favorite of our offerings.

Yahboy likes this.
  9. stringthrough

It stops when I balance the pickups.

10. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Lindy Fralin's

Lesfunk, stringthrough and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    The Aguilars are good. They don’t completely loose that single coil tone

stringthrough and Aqualung60 like this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve got a US J Plus that came with Fender Lace Snsors and it is one of the most versatile basses i’ve ever owned when it comes to tone. The Kubicki preamp certainly contributes to that, but i’ve had the same preamp in a bass with a PJ configuration and a borrowed Kubicki Factor with the same pre and neither had the tonal range of the Lace Sensors.
    I can’t speak for how the currently available Lace pickups sound but the sensors in my Plus sound better to me than any of the many aftermarket J pickups i’ve tried over the years.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  13. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    I like the Ultra J’s. I’ve got a set in an MIM J and it’s my go to when i’m doing country or Americana. I’ve also got a set of Model J’s in another MIM and i use it when i want to be the god of thunder.

cheechi and Killed_by_Death like this.
  14. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    After researching, I put Model J's in my Taurus and haven't regretted it except when I toggle to series wiring and roll down the tone...because they still sound like whale-sized jazz pickups haha

But they're beautifully noiseless when I turn the blend knob to any setting. I hear the Area J's are more subtle, and I think DiMarzio has a bunch of options for if you want to be classy or crass.

stringthrough, wmmj and warwicktor like this.
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Did not like the Lace Sensors at all! The Fender Noiseless are fine IMHO. It is nice not having to balance your pickups to get rid of the noise.

saabfender likes this.
  16. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Fralins are your answer

stringthrough and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    My Lace Sensors are totally noisless.

18. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I've had really good experiences with Joe Barden pickups. Have/had them on my Rick, P Bass, Strat, Tele and ASAT. Haven't tried the J style pickups yet, but I can't imagine they'd be anything less than stellar. Good luck!

NOVAX, stringthrough and TN WOODMAN like this.
  19. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Another vote for Fralin pickups. Not only do they sound good and retain a classic tone, Lindy is great about speaking to customers and custom winding to suit your tastes. Really great product and company.

DiabolusInMusic and TN WOODMAN like this.