1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups - Help me pick a set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stringthrough, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    Bartolini B-axis jazz set....great sounding set of pups.

stringthrough likes this.
  2. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I am using the Delano JC4s and am really happy with them. Punch of a single coil but quiet.

stringthrough and wmmj like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Seymour Duncan Apollo set is the next set of Jazz pickups I am going to get. :bassist:

stringthrough, Zoobiedood and B-Mac like this.
  4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Dimarzio Area J is the correct answer

stringthrough, JVbass and NOVAX like this.
  5. wmmj

wmmj Gold Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I second the Delano. I use the 5 string version of the pickup. One benefit for me was that I’m more likely to use “bridge only” more than before. I didn’t like it before, but I’m starting to dig it now.

6. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    DiMarzio Area J pickups are humbucking and sound very similar to traditional single coil Fender J type pickups. In addition, they have raised A and D pole pieces for improved string to string balance and are relatively inexpensive (@ roughly $130 a pair last I checked).

wmmj and stringthrough like this.
  7. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I say just deal with it. Nothing sounds like real single coils, you'll never be happy with a replacement if that's the sound you really want. You can get noiseless but it comes at the expense of all the bite that makes a jazz bass a jazz bass.

8. I say don't deal with it.

Both Model J & Ultra Jazz can be wired to be both humbucking & single coil, you should choose one of these and wire it that way. Between series/parallel, single & hb for each pup, you will have the widest range of tones in a single bass that can be had without power tools. Between the two the Ultra Jazz have a wider frequency range (a bit brighter) but I prefer the model J.

TN WOODMAN and InhumanResource like this.
  9. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I hear you, but I used to have those ultra jazzes. They remind me of a million years ago when I switched to quarter pounders - a great big pillow of sound. Once I brought them to rehearsal I had nothing but bottom and top. Great big scoop. Maybe the model J's are better, but if you are looking for your j bass to sound like a j bass the ultra's aren't it.

cheechi likes this.
  10. you're right about that, but in single coil mode they do sound like single coils which was the requirement here. I don't think the current J's that Fender makes sound anything like either 60's or 70's J's, and it's disappointing they discontinued the super 55's because that would have been my first suggestion. I absolutely hate how scooped a lot of J's sound; the early J's weren't as scooped but as we got closer to 1980 we got more and more scooped.

For a humbucking J set, the Model J's sound the best to me. Not 100% vintage, but a pleasant combination of J style punch/bite/growl (which is inherently at least a bit scoopy), silence-ness, and vintage-ness.

wmmj, TN WOODMAN and InhumanResource like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    You're right about the new ones, man. Ever since those N3 things came out they have had absolutely no balls. Though I did just hear one of those new Elite V's at a bar and it sounded damn good, but I don't know what else the player had set up with it. I want to go try one out for research.

cheechi likes this.
  12. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Pretty sure you’re mistaken there. They can be wired in series or parallel but either way they are still two coils and they sound different than a single coil.

They do sound great though. Just depends what you want.

13. You can coil split each individual pup, and you can wire the bass to have the two pups wired in series or parallel to each other. We aren't talking about an individual HB wired with its own coils wired in series or parallel, but the two volume pots (parallel) or a single (series), so two different sets of options.

this
    JazzBass_2VppSP_1T.

plus essentially this, for each pup
    Pbass_1VppSP_1T.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  14. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Seymour Duncan APOLLO ... ive played many and I think these are very very close to the single coil thing

stringthrough and Zoobiedood like this.
  15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Lindy Fralin. /thread

wmmj, stringthrough and Reedt2000 like this.
  16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Joe Barden's blade if you have the dough. Larry D's Area J is nice. So is ultrajazz if you're on a budget.
    If you consider Nordstrand, Fralin or Lollar, listen hard to Barden.

17. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Fender Noiseless Jazz for me. Two sets so far. They sound like the stock single coils. Pretty impressive if you think about it.

18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yep. They are really close to singles. Cheap and sound great plus you can wire them series/parallel.

19. I've used Lollars on an American Fender J bass with a rosewood fretboard, very beautiful sound. Better than the Fender Pickups, IMO.